The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   VENT: Accidental Breeding/"My Two Year Old Can't Breed, He's Not Interested" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/vent-accidental-breeding-my-two-year-126910/)

BlueSpark 06-13-2012 11:17 AM

VENT: Accidental Breeding/"My Two Year Old Can't Breed, He's Not Interested"

I didn't See a "vent" specific section, but this has been driving me crazy. People need to educate themselves about their animals.

There are true accidental Breedings, I know. If the neighbors stud gets out, runs through your fence and breeds your mare while your at work, fine. or various other truly accidental situations that might happen, but having a stud on your property (of ANY age) requires appropriate fencing and precaution.

For example: my yearling/ two year old can't breed, he's not interested. RIGHT. Inless your yearling is being watched 24/7, he will at some point become interested. All it takes is a frisky teenaged colt and a cooperative mare with 5 minutes alone and PRESTO! "Dang, he WAS interested. I thought he would tell me first." Its like saying their 17 year old son isn't interested in the opposite sex because they havent caught him in bed with someone yet. Your colt will not WAIT for you to be there so he can have an audience the first time he "gets interested":-x

Separate your colts at weaning from ALL mares and fillies, behind stud proof fencing. If you a) don't have appropriate fencing, b) Don't have the money to geld or c) "I want to wait untill the bugs are gone", you need to put up the fencing, find the money to geld or give him to someone who will.

I'm so tired of people complaining that their colt got their yearling filly pregnant, their 12hh pony mare got bred by their "uninterested" 16hh 2 year old qh, or their badly built, cronically lame pasture puff got bred by their new yearling last year and now looks pregnant.

gigem88 06-13-2012 11:21 AM

No arguements here!

Drifting 06-13-2012 11:22 AM

Agreed!

But.. less venting.. more posting pictures of that staillion you're halter breaking.. please.. ;)

:D :D :D

Country Woman 06-13-2012 11:42 AM

agreed

Speed Racer 06-13-2012 11:43 AM

Preachin' to the choir here, sister. I'm sure you'll get some dissent though, especially from the folks guilty of such things. :wink:

BlueSpark 06-13-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Preachin' to the choir here, sister. I'm sure you'll get some dissent though, especially from the folks guilty of such things.
There are so many threads I see that people start about "Can He Breed?", "Why Does She Look Pregnant?", "Is it Possible?" and the like. It drives me crazy! As an owner, you are responsible for these animals, which means educating your selves. Yeesh.

Quote:

more posting pictures of that staillion you're halter breaking.. please.. ;)
Have to work to pay for the stallion first, then pictures:D (Thought I would mention, said stallion is appropriately housed and hasnt "Accidentally" bred anything either)

muumi 06-13-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 1545761)
Agreed!

But.. less venting.. more posting pictures of that staillion you're halter breaking.. please.. ;)

:D :D :D

Off topic, but I want what you have in your avatar picture... please gimme!

Rascaholic 06-13-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 1545801)
Have to work to pay for the stallion first, then pictures:D (Thought I would mention, said stallion is appropriately housed and hasnt "Accidentally" bred anything either)

ROFL I am so glad you posted this. I have had an accidental breeding. Dad bought the QH stud, for CHEAP, not knowing the dang thing was hiding thumbs inside his hooves. He could escape anything but the combination locks that eventually went onto his stall, pen, and run.
He was bought to breed. Just not my TWH mare. :-x

wild horses 06-13-2012 09:48 PM

Agree!!!

I have five straight from muster wild stallions ATM. It's winter here and 99% of time have no interested in a horse with ovaries, it's that 1% of the time they do get interested you have to make sure you got the fences and are paying attention.

Also people don't realize young colts are really affected by season,as you say you can't watch them every day, but that first day they feel spring and hormones kick in, they will try riding anything they can get to, even if for two years before that they don't even blank at a in season mare anywhere near them