The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   So, everything happens for a reason.. right?-newhorse/videos- (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/so-everything-happens-reason-right-newhorse-126934/)

DuffyDuck 06-13-2012 02:52 PM

So, everything happens for a reason.. right?-newhorse/videos-

With Nero falling through, my mum was more determined than me to go and try new horses out.
Friday I went to a local place and tried some that would make good.... school horses.
Saturday we travelled an hour to a breeder who rode the horse, and we noticed it was lame, pointed it out and she seemed miffed me had noticed, worked the horse more, we pointed out it was getting worse so I got off and she semi-indicated for me to get on at which point I said thanks for your time. Anyone wanting someone to ride an injured horse is beyond me.

My mum then browsed the internet, an ad popped up.. Ooh this one is only round the corner. Yeah, but mum, he looks like a donkey! So I phoned up, some vague, distracted answers anda bunch of dogs barking in the background. So, we make the appointment for Sunday afternoon.

Advert: Oldenburger Springpferd Wallach 8 Jahre Fuchs Dressurpferd Springpferd Freizeitpferd

Note that his breed his Oldenburg Springpferd (jumphorse).. he hates jumping wahaha.

Get to the yard, there is this fat, listless ginger lump in the box and I'm thinking what the hell. Glaring at my mother. Thanks mum.

She gets him out, and thats when he starts to draw us is with his baby-cute face, his tubby belly and his lips that search you all over for sweets (a habit that will be broken).

So, the girl mounts, he won't stand still, and rides him across the road in to the large. LARGE. riding school.
We learn that her and her mother (she herself is in her late 20's) run the yard, with three sections and 88 boxes of which 80 are full. They have too many horses and not enough time, hence down sizing.

She gets on, and he run's around with his head in the air, not doing much. I think to myself, well I only have to ride for ten minutes and say not for me.

I get on, and instantly feel like I've been on him for years. I ride, and I ride, and I ride.
I find it hard to mesh with horses, especially new ones, as I just dont trust them. I never trusted Duffy, hence why I refused to do anything but flatwork with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4J...e_gdata_player

Trot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N18F...e_gdata_player

Canter.

Now, I showed these to my trainer the next day and she was shaking her head, watching his head and saying unless on my next test ride I could ask him to drop his head, I wouldn't have a hope in hell's chance.

Well, I had to wait two days (it nearly killed me) to ride again.

Unfortunately, my dad is AWESOME -insert sarcasm- at filming and got some of the mediocre work out of him, after another canter he worked so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Txr...e_gdata_player

Vet check is Friday.. if all goes well, Quidam's Diamond will be coming home!

gigem88 06-13-2012 03:10 PM

How exciting, hope it goes very well!!

Speed Racer 06-13-2012 03:14 PM

Gorgeous boy, and you two fit together very well. He looks happy in all those videos, too. No real fussing, and seems to be listening.

Good luck with the PPE!

Hidalgo13 06-13-2012 03:16 PM

Ouuuuuuuh, that lovely flowing trot with just a hint of bounce! I love that! He moves so nicely and with some more work, he'll be amazing! I wish you luck! :)

Susan Crumrine 06-13-2012 03:18 PM

I am so excited for you!! Hoping PPE goes well...

DuffyDuck 06-13-2012 03:21 PM

Thanks guys :D
I am so excited.. he is what I need.. a project but such a chilled out and relaxed nature!!

His movement is well... for my price range.. the best I'm gonna get LOL

equiniphile 06-13-2012 03:43 PM

Oh man, he's lovely! I actually quite like his movement, especially in the last video where he was sitting back on his haunches and freeing up that shoulder. Good luck, I hope this is the one!

DuffyDuck 06-13-2012 03:52 PM

Yesterday I really asked him for more.. AND I was in a dressage saddle ahahaha. I pushed him harder and wanted him to drop his head and soften through his back and my hands. I wasn't expecting as much as he gave in the end, but I needed to direct, and he did what he was asked.

I thought Nero was the one, but this guy has taken my heart. If he fails his PPE I'll be very upset :S

Wallaby 06-13-2012 04:03 PM

I really like him!! Such a cutiepatootie! You guys looked super comfortable together, I love it. I hope he passes his PPE.
And I also like his movement, I think it's really adorable! :lol:

One thing that I saw in his ad, not so much in the videos but in the videos I was distracted by his cuteness, was that it appeared like his saddle was sitting really high on his shoulders making me think that perhaps it's too narrow. If it's too narrow and pinching, his whole high headed thing might 100% disappear in a wider saddle (Lacey's like that too, that's the only reason I mentioned it)... :D

DuffyDuck 06-13-2012 04:08 PM

lol wallaby he needs EVERYTHING xwide.
I can barely get my legs round him.

He is fed FIVE times a day. And no work. Simple case of truly loving your animals to death :S

However, I won't be buying a saddle straight away. I need to get rid of the fat, build up some muscle, then look. The first ride was in the jumping saddle, and second ride in the dressage saddle and he did feel a lot free'er within his front, and worked better.. I also rode better (not brilliant.. just better ;D ) and that made a whole world of difference!