The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Riding horses in this extreme HEAT!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/riding-horses-extreme-heat-12694/)

Harley's mom 08-03-2008 10:16 PM

Riding horses in this extreme HEAT!!

Ok, it's 107 degrees today. Yes, 107. It's been triple digits now for 2 weeks.

When it's 100+ degrees, is it ok to still ride? I mean for 2 hours at a time? Of course, our horses are hydrated very well, and when we bring them back after 1 1/2 - 2 hours, they are unsaddled, hosed down and tied up in the shade. Their water has electrolytes in it, so that is good. But then, after about an hour, we will go out again for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Is this ok, or will it put the horses in any danger?

Thank you for your replies!

palogal 08-04-2008 10:25 AM

I would not ride in that kind of heat unless wherever I was had lots of shade along the way or an arena or something. It's as dangerous for the horse as it is for you. If you carry a spray bottle with you and mist them every once in a while it helps though.

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-04-2008 11:08 AM

We have been in the high 90's for the last 2 weeks. We don't ride when its that hot. First of all I find it rather uncomfortable.....I'm a weenie. :lol: I also can't justify saddling up the horse when it's sweating just grazing. JMHO. :D

farmpony84 08-04-2008 11:11 AM

I ride bareback when it's really hot and then I hose them off afterwards.. but I'm a weenie too... my hot weather rides are really short and slow!!!

Ryle 08-04-2008 11:33 AM

The extreme heat puts not only the horse but the humans at risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. So just like with people it's recommended to limit activities to the morning or evening hours when the heat is not as intense. Mid-day is the worst time to be out. I'm in the same boat and either ride in the early morning or late evening.

When riding, you should offer your horse water every hour or so--plain fresh water. You can also offer a bucket with electrolytes mixed in but be sure to have plain water available as well because you can do harm by providing nothing but electrolyte water if you cause an imbalance.

kitten_Val 08-04-2008 11:56 AM

I NEVER ride when it's over 90 F! With humidity even mid 80th...

lovemyponies 08-04-2008 12:34 PM

I live in florida, we have been pretty lucky this summer its not been as bad as usual and we have rain !!! :D

however the last few weeks its been creeping up to high 80s to low 90s and of course its 100% humidity. We try to ride either early in am or late pm and only for short rides, no tough work.

the horses are sweating in the pasture, poor things!

I would think in the 100s you would want to shorten it up from a 2 hour ride for most horses and for yourself, so take it easy, but you probably have less humidity

PoptartShop 08-04-2008 12:44 PM

I don't ride in anything that's 90F with high humidity. ;) I don't think 100F is that safe. Maybe you could ride but at least at a walk?

Mercury 08-04-2008 01:29 PM

I used to work on a ranch and the work needed to be done regardless of how hot it was. We did however take special precautions. We never went faster than a trot and never for extended periods of time and made sure the horses had access to water every hour or so. If there was shade available I took advantage of that. We would also hose the horses down after working.

Now days I'm a wimp. I has to be in the 90's for me to ride and sometimes I even wimp out then :?

kickshaw 08-04-2008 02:20 PM

if my horses are sweaty while standing in front of their fans, i don't ride. the past couple of weeks i have been either getting up really early or riding after the sun goes down in the arena. :)