The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   HELP! need opinion on the Jorge Canaves Thompson Vienna II dressage SADDLE!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-need-opinion-jorge-canaves-thompson-126954/)

AutumnHorses 06-13-2012 05:34 PM

HELP! need opinion on the Jorge Canaves Thompson Vienna II dressage SADDLE!?

hello! i am buying my first saddle and have been doing a lot of searching and trying to figure out if i should go with a new Wintec 500 dressage saddle with CAIR or a used leather saddle. I found a JC Thompson Vienna II black leather dressage saddle in 17" seat, with Wide Tree. She claims its in great condition and that New it would retail at $1300.00 USA- she is asking 400$. I live in Quebec, Canada and it is very hard to find used saddles here so I was really excited when i found this saddle for that price; however i don't know much about Jorge Canaves saddles except that they are quality saddles made in Argentina that copy the top made saddles. i heard they also run narrow..? I am an intermediate rider and i am trying extremely hard to get myself better and better. I take 1-2 lessons a week and i now have a half pension so i am riding at least 4 times a week. I want good saddle that i can excel in and that can help me improve my position. I do not plan on showing any time soon, i simply want to be the best rider i can be and i want the saddle to get me there.

Dressage10135 06-13-2012 05:38 PM

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I would strongly recommend NOT buying a saddle online unless you can ride in one exactly like it to test it out first. There are so many variations in different types of saddles there is no way to know it will fit you or your horse without riding in it. Don't rush into buying anything.. the smartest thing you can do is to shop around locally, try as many different ones you can and then go from there.

Good luck!

AutumnHorses 06-13-2012 05:46 PM

thanks for the welcome:)

the thing is that the JC leather saddle is an hour and a half away (in ontario) so i wouldn't be able to try it out but im really not worried if it does not fit because i will definitely be able to sell where i am (montreal, quebec) since there are not many here. But fit is definitly the most important thing for me too, so i am really hoping it does fit. if not, then i will probably go for the wintec since its adjustable ; i just never have been a fan of synthetic but i hear good things. do you know anything about JC saddles?
Thanks! :D

churumbeque 06-13-2012 07:43 PM

Only the gullet is adjustable so the rest of the tree could still be an issue.
Saddle makers are recommending wool and even if they sell cair they do not recommend them. I think the wintec are decent for the money but I would not get Cair

kitten_Val 06-13-2012 10:08 PM

Autumn, I have Vienna II for several years already and very happy with it. It was a good fit for my horses, and nice fit for my own butt. I know at least 2 more people on forum who get the saddle and happy with it as well.

As for $1300 new mine was under $1000 brand new with saddle cover (I believe somewhere in $800-900 range). If the saddle is in a good condition $400 is a good price IMO.

AutumnHorses 06-14-2012 03:48 PM

thanks very much for the help! i will most probably get the vienna saddle and hope for the best***ill let you know how it fits!

jonypony 12-19-2013 12:48 PM

I too have just purchased a JC saddle and appreciated the feedback on JC saddles. It s a jumping saddle and the badge (JC) seems to be one of the older ones as it is metal with just a JC on it. Does anyone know more about these saddles?