The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   ballet and horses HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/ballet-horses-help-126963/)

horsefan3000 06-13-2012 07:29 PM

ballet and horses HELP

Hello i have a question, dos anybody know a way i can spend time with horses
WITHOUT having to ride?

PS: i cant ride horses because it bows your legs and thats kind of a problem when your a dancer

katbalu 06-13-2012 07:30 PM

Certainly somehow...! Volunteering/ working at stables?
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 06-13-2012 08:14 PM

Bow's your legs?! o_O

I don't think so... maybe on old cowboy movies. Actually riding makes your hips more flexible as you have to really open them up to have good balance on a horse.

It works all muscles in your body in different ways, improves balance, improves confidence. There's nothing negative about it except you get dirty but that's why there are showers and laundry.

Bobby Lee 06-13-2012 08:24 PM

Well I've managed to combine both ballet and riding into one sport ;)

Gallop On 06-13-2012 10:49 PM

Ummm... I dont know about it bowing your legs... My legs look like they always had before I started riding, only difference; Im more flexible, and my legs are ten time stronger... I think if anything it would help dancing, not ruin.... But, thats just me.

equiniphile 06-13-2012 10:53 PM

My family has ridden daily for years, and none of us have bowed legs....

katbalu 06-13-2012 11:10 PM

HAHAA.. I just thought the OP knew some secret crazy dancer thing...
Who's an idiot now.....(me...)

Skyseternalangel 06-13-2012 11:11 PM

Well if you are a guy and you slam too hard on the sitting trot then maybe you'd be bow legged for awhile.........

:wink:

Lockwood 06-13-2012 11:16 PM

Patrick Swazey was a ballet dancer as well as other disciplines of dance. He rode for many years and I think he was far from bow legged.
(May he rest in peace)

DrumRunner 06-13-2012 11:16 PM

Riding will actually help your balance and range of movement if you're a dancer. I did it for years...ballet, jazz, hip hop, tap..even clogging.. and there is no negative side of riding that will "bow" your legs. Yes, they may be sore and you'll walk funny for a day or so but you being a dancer should know that sore muscles work themselves out with stretching and using that muscle. If anything, it'd be a good exercise for you.

If you don't want to ride there are plenty of other things you can do that involve horses like the others have listed.