The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Why is She Lame? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/why-she-lame-127017/)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 06-13-2012 11:14 PM

Why is She Lame?

So I have a question. Leia was lame today and i checked her feet and one of her front feet was hotter than the other, and she was off in the front. She's overdue for a shoeing and the wall around her heel is growing on the outside of the shoe. Could this be causing soreness? and should I be concerned? I talked to the farrier a couple weeks ago and at the time he said she was overdue and he'd be coming out the following week to get her done. However, looking at the shoes, I'm not sure that he did them - or at least I hope not.

He's a very good farrier that has really turned her hooves around from the train wreck they used to be, so I'm hoping it's not his error.

Skyseternalangel 06-13-2012 11:16 PM

Heat may be an abscess.. :/ Only way to know for sure is to pull the shoes and have the farrier look.

You can find out via a hoof tester.

I know very minimal so talk it over with your farrier.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 06-13-2012 11:19 PM

Since the shoes are ill-fitting, there is a part that cracked where the nail is
and chipped off. My friend said to get her hoof tested, too. Is that usually pricey?

Skyseternalangel 06-13-2012 11:24 PM

No it's just another tool the farriers have.
Using Hoof Testers - YouTube

See? :)

Hmm.. any way to pull her shoes soon so you can see the damage? Ill fitting shoes definitely aren't helping her right now.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 06-13-2012 11:31 PM

I'm going to text my farrier first thing tomorrow since I'm off from work (so I can wait all day if I have to) to see if he can come at all. He was supposed to work on them a while back, so I am a little peeved that she's lame now - possibly because of it.

Also, when she was off when I talked to him last, I believe he hoof tested her in the back and found nothing, but the fronts have been left untouched, so I guess it's a possibility. Although, she's never had an abscess before. xD

loosie 06-14-2012 02:20 AM

Yes, being overdue so that the hoof distorts(or distorts further if it already was) can cause lameness. I know we all live in the real world & stuff happens, but do try to book in your horse frequently enough that the hooves don't get a chance to overgrow much. Your farrier will have much more success rehabbing a 'train wreck' if he doesn't have to chase his tail, correcting stuff that's happened since the last trim too.

nyx 06-14-2012 02:24 AM

Is your horse overweight, or feed rich with sugar i.e freshly sprouting pastures? Maybe you should check for laminitis? Is there rings, like small grooves on the hooves called founder rings?
Posted via Mobile Device

LoveTheSaddlebreds 06-14-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1547187)
Yes, being overdue so that the hoof distorts(or distorts further if it already was) can cause lameness. I know we all live in the real world & stuff happens, but do try to book in your horse frequently enough that the hooves don't get a chance to overgrow much. Your farrier will have much more success rehabbing a 'train wreck' if he doesn't have to chase his tail, correcting stuff that's happened since the last trim too.

I'm not sure you understood what I meant. My farrier was scheduled to come out a while back, but apparently didn't show.

And I didn't see founder rings and she's outside for less than 12 hours in grass a day, and the grass is kept short. She is overweight due to lack of exercise, but her food has been kept down because of it.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 06-14-2012 03:45 PM

**Also, I went out today and had the trainer at the barn look at her trot. She said it looked like it was in behind, not in front, and that she also thinks its higher up than the leg. (i.e. stifle) Since she's been around for all of Leia's hind end troubles, I'm inclined to agree with her. If the lameness doesn't get better, I will have my vet come out and see what she thinks.

TexanFreedom 06-14-2012 03:59 PM

You need to take her to the vet, she probably has laminitis(founder).

My neighbors APH roping mare had this. First she went lame, then heat, then she refused to walk on it. The next day she was down and her hoof had basically looked like it all came out through the sole. It looked like it, exploded. the mare had inflammation in her hooves, and there was no where for all of it to go, so it squished out the bottom. She's okay now, but he sold her a few months ago.

Quote:

Diagnosis

Early diagnosis is essential to effective treatment. However, early outward signs may be fairly non-specific. Careful physical examination typically is diagnostic, but radiographs are also very useful.

Signs
.Increased temperature of the wall, sole and/or coronary band of the foot.
.A pounding pulse in the digital palmar artery. (The pulse is very faint or undetectable in a cold horse, readily evident after hard exercise.)
.Anxiety
.Visible trembling
.Increased vital signs and body temperature
.Sweating
.Flared Nostrils
.Walking very tenderly, as if walking on egg shells
.Repeated "easing" of affected feet
.Lameness
.The horse standing in a "founder stance" (the horse will attempt to decrease the load on the affected feet). If it has laminitis in the front hooves, it will bring its hindlegs underneath its body and put its forelegs out in front called "pointing"
.Tendency to lie down, whenever possible or, if extreme, to remain lying down.