The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Artist block! I can't get anything done, how to get things going? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/artist-block-i-cant-get-anything-127044/)

FlyGap 06-14-2012 03:03 AM

Artist block! I can't get anything done, how to get things going?

So, it's almost 2 am. I'm working on a project that's 3 weeks over due.
ARHG!!! No, it's not a horse piece, I haven't done one of those in years but you guys are so inspiring! Maybe I'll do some once I get through this...

What do you do to get things going? I'm at my wits end. This is a huge campaign that I've been working on for almost two years now. This is piece number 8. A custom pinball table illustration of all things! It's so complicated I want to scream.
I promised that it would be done this week, ouch. I'm totally overdue for some r&r after my busy spring. All I want is to get on the back of my horse and ride off into the sunset.

Yeah, I know, first step get off HF and get to work!

Skyseternalangel 06-14-2012 06:23 AM

You're obviously burned out, so do yourself a favour and take a break, go out and play with your horse or go for a hike or do something away from home. Come back later, work on it for at least 45 minutes.. take another break, come back to it again.

These little breaks will keep your mind from exploding of boredom and frustration, and you will be able to tolerate it more so.

Best of luck, it'll look fab!

lilruffian 06-19-2012 08:48 PM

I like to make it a little entertaining for myself, so when i am painting i always have some of my favorite music playing or else turn the TV on or usually a movie for background noise and something to watch at moments when i'm waiting for the paint to dry or getting a bit bored. (I'm a goober so i usually put in the good old Disney classics because there's lots of music in them and they're not movies you have to glue your eyes to)
Maybe it's just me, but it makes the project (especially the dull ones) go by quicker lol