The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Horse, Is He technically stolen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/horse-he-technically-stolen-127045/)

Savvy Debonair 06-14-2012 04:13 AM

Horse, Is He technically stolen?

Long story short;

My friend bought a horse on the 6th of January this year, She kept him at said property till the 30th of March this year.

Her partner was then accused of stealing and they where BANNED and threatned with prosecution and legal matters if they where to come back onto the property.

My friend was sent a hand written letter that said she owed $658 for the period of the agistment on the property.

There was an agreement that she was to pay $20 per week. So the sum is outrageous. She was infact paying her agistment.

Amanda was told NOT to collect her horse, unless she paid, she refused to pay, she didn't contact the police, i told her too but she said that she did nothing wrong and that she should be aloud to get her horse, she is absolutely terrified of this man.

What should she do? And is the man in the right banning her from collecting the horse? I know she should go to the police, cut i cannot really go in her place. I Know for a fact she does not know him any thing as i was out there weekly helping her and we never set foot in his house as he accused. Her partner did maintence on the property but nothing was stolen or touched.

Savvy Debonair 06-14-2012 04:36 AM

There was also no contract about the period he was to be kept there or the amount to be paid, it was a verbal agreement, My friend still has her sale receipt from the horse.

usandpets 06-14-2012 05:35 AM

Let me guess, she always paid in cash and never got a receipt for paying.

It's another he said she said situation. Did he call the police when the property was stolen? If she leaves the horse, he could claim the horse as abandoned in time.

If I was being accused of stealing, I would have taken my horse out of there immediately.
Posted via Mobile Device

Savvy Debonair 06-14-2012 05:36 AM

He was taking the payment directly out of the payment for maintence from the partner.. I told her to take him straight away but she said that he ws going to ring the police for tresspass..

He did go to the police, but the police never contact my friend.. :/

usandpets 06-14-2012 05:48 AM

I think she should contact the police to go there with her to get her horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 06-14-2012 05:51 AM

I'd go get the horse maybe get him while this guy is either A. Sleeping or B. Not home!
Posted via Mobile Device

Savvy Debonair 06-14-2012 05:55 AM

Thank you for your opinion, i think that too and have ordered her to go to the police tomorrow, crossing fingers that they agree with her an she can get him out

apachewhitesox 06-14-2012 05:59 AM

I'm not sure but without a written agreement she cant prove her side of the arguement but wouldn't that also mean he can't prove how long the horse has been there or how much money she "owes" him?

Also with the help of the police if she has the receipt saying she owns the horse wouldn't that mean he has no right to keep the horse? Unless he has proof that they stole stuff or owe him something.

Could you convince her contacting the police isn't so much saying you've done soemthing wrong but more as protection and to monitor the situation whilst collecting the horse?

Savvy Debonair 06-14-2012 06:07 AM

That's exactly what i thought, there is no proof except each others stories, i have seen the horse though and was there when she bought him, SHE also didn't steal anythin and he blamed her partner and she coped the s*** end of the stick, not that her partner did take anything (they where accussed of stealing a large sum of money, no proof once again)

She has a receipt for the horse, maybe it will help

eclipseranch 06-14-2012 09:08 AM

I don't know specific law, but, unfortunately, possession is 9/10's of the law. this sounds like a horrible situation all the way around..I agree with the above post, as soon as trouble started, I would have gotten my horse out of there!