The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   excess rein -why left side? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/excess-rein-why-left-side-127050/)

SHINE LIMITED 06-14-2012 05:46 AM

excess rein -why left side?

I have ridden and taught hunt seat all my life.after having had back surgery I discovered I could still ride by switching to western.I love it. In hunters the excess bight falls right side. In single hand split reins why does the excess fall to the left?
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 06-14-2012 10:46 AM

When I ride split reins I have them crossed in an x over their neck, so there's excess rein one to each side.
I think it's just personal preference, to be honest. I know a lot of people around here improvise them as a whip if the horse need it, and they hang the excess to the opposite aide they actually rein with (so that it's with their free hand and available for use).
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 06-14-2012 10:49 AM

im guessing its because you hold the reins in your left hand ! im not western expert though. my trainer always said for hunters you want to have the bite of the reins to the outside.

GotaDunQH 06-14-2012 11:14 AM

With split reins, the excess falls on the same side as which hand is holding the reins.

VACowgirl 06-14-2012 11:18 AM

My excess rein falls to the right and I use it as a whip if my horse is being stubborn. Otherwise, I keep it wrapped up in a circle at my side like John Wayne :wink:

SHINE LIMITED 06-14-2012 11:19 AM

Thanks u guys! This forum is great. Its so helpful to read everyones opinion
Posted via Mobile Device

nrhareiner 06-14-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotaDunQH (Post 1547430)
With split reins, the excess falls on the same side as which hand is holding the reins.

This thanks now I do not have to type it out.

nrhareiner 06-14-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHINE LIMITED (Post 1547437)
Thanks u guys! This forum is great. Its so helpful to read everyones opinion
Posted via Mobile Device

If you are riding for fun it is opinion of you are showing then the extra rein needs to be on the side of the hand you are using.

COWCHICK77 06-14-2012 08:43 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Yes it does fall on the same side as the hand.

Also especially if you are roping you hold your reins and coils in the left hand. The ends that way also do not get caught in your slack or dallies.

Saddlebag 06-14-2012 09:27 PM

That came about with the dismount. The cowboy could take the left rein (dismount side) and walk to his horse's head and the right rein would remain draped over the horse's neck. Your hunter reins are buckled and too short to work in this fashion.