The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Using a bridle or a halter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/using-bridle-halter-127054/)

PaintMare 06-14-2012 06:30 AM

Using a bridle or a halter?

In english showmanship should you use a bridle and reins or a halter and lead shank? I see a lot of people using a bridle at shows...but only for english. Also should I practice for showmanship using a bridle or a halter/lead rope?

PaintedShanty 06-14-2012 12:36 PM

That depends entirely on what the rules are for your organization.

I will say though, that if your show organization allows you to do your Showmanship class English and in a halter do NOT use a Western show halter, instead use a plain leather halter with a chain lead that matches the halter's hardware AND leather.

spurstop 06-15-2012 12:02 PM

I would use a halter and practice with the shank at home.
Posted via Mobile Device

binkyhoo 07-07-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurstop (Post 1549530)
I would use a halter and practice with the shank at home.
Posted via Mobile Device

agree. I dont know your area, but it should be about you and the horse and not so much what the horse is wearing. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck. If need be to later on use a full bridle, you will be ahead of the game.

equinegirl26 07-09-2012 02:52 PM

I would use a bridle for showing and whatever at home. :)

bluebirdannie 07-11-2012 11:19 AM

I would first check the rules of where you are showing since everyone can vary. Most of the shows I have been to allow you the option of a bridle with reins OR a plain leather halter with a matching lead for English Showmanship. Western Showmanship is almost always going to be a halter and matching lead.

I have always preferred to use a halter and lead because it makes it easier for my horse and I to switch from English to Western Showmanship. Your horse will be less likely to get confused if you keep your tack consistent. My horse is a showmanship whiz, but when we do showmanship in a bridle, we're not a fluid and on point with our moves.

tasunke 07-26-2012 02:51 PM

Brown English bridle with reins for practice and show. Halter with shank lead is for western.

equiniphile 07-26-2012 02:59 PM

Practice in what you show in. For hunt seat, you'll need a plain bridle, and preferably braided reins.

EKH15 07-27-2012 12:34 PM

it does depend on the rules of your area and what you are showing, but usually with english showmanship you show in a plain leather halter and shank, with the western you would use a silver show halter. I think you can use a halter or bridle upon your prefrence, but i would use a halter, as it is a lot easier, and makes more sense. "Showmanship at halter." Bridles are for riding. Hope i could help.

tasunke 07-27-2012 12:51 PM

Where do you show at/live? Most of the shows in VA require bridle for English SMS and show halter for western SMS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EKH15 (Post 1618326)
it does depend on the rules of your area and what you are showing, but usually with english showmanship you show in a plain leather halter and shank, with the western you would use a silver show halter. I think you can use a halter or bridle upon your prefrence, but i would use a halter, as it is a lot easier, and makes more sense. "Showmanship at halter." Bridles are for riding. Hope i could help.