The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   I would like to start eventing, have a few ?'s (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/i-would-like-start-eventing-have-127107/)

HurleyGurly 06-14-2012 02:52 PM

I would like to start eventing, have a few ?'s

Hi everyone:D
I have been riding for about 10 years now, and I currently compete in Level 1 jumpers. I would really LOVE to try eventing, just for fun of course, it's something I've wanted to try since I was 8. I've never had the opportunity to ride at an eventing barn or ever try it, and now that I own my own horse I'd like to give it a whirl. I have a few questions and concerns about trying it, if you could help answer any of them it'd be greatly appreciated :lol:
so there's my horse: he's a 9 yr old OTTB who's 17hh. He's very athletic, and he's been sound up until last year, he had a pretty bad splint injury from sliding and falling down after a jump (the footing was terrible, and he slipped) and was off for 4 months. He's been back for 4 months now, and is back to jumping 2'9'', we haven't pushed him any higher. He's been perfectly sound (knock on wood!) The vet said its stronger than before, but I'm worried that if I do eventing the pressure of galloping and jumping will re-injure him. Anyone ever ride a horse with splint issues before in eventing? And do you think that it's a bad idea to ride him like that after being injured?
Here are my technical questions:
Since I've never done an event, and I don't jump that high anyway, I'd plan on trying a novice level event. and its only a tiny local show anyway, so its pretty low-key. Do I need a USEA membership for a small event? And do I need a different helmet than my typical jumping helmet I use? The helmet I use is like the cheaper version of a GPA. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but it starts with a I or something. And do I need a dressage saddle for dressage if its only a lower level event?
Thanks!!!!:wink:

Woodland Eventer 06-14-2012 05:27 PM

You shouldn't need a different helmet, most shows don't check them anyway. You don't need a dressage saddle at this point. I didn't have one when I started, I have one now but I haven't shown in it yet. You will need a vest and a medical armband. If you know someone who has these, I would ask to borrow them rather than buying your own(in case you're weird and don't absolutely fall in love with the sport).

Another thing you'll want to know, braid for dressage(large button braids) and remove them for XC & jumping.

Personally, I've passed up many OTTBs for eventing purposes because of osselets or splint injuries but with a patient training schedule and a vet's approval, I don't see why it would be an issue. Honestly, the optimum times that are set for XC are not set so that you have to gallop ever inch of the course. A nicely paced canter/trot combination will get you there in plenty of time in most competitions.

gypsygirl 06-14-2012 06:03 PM

for novice a nice forward canter around the whole course should do you just fine ! you shouldnt need a new helmet for a small show.

you also dont have to register for usea unless is novice or higher at a recognized event.

have fun =]

kindraeventing 06-15-2012 10:08 PM

Just to clarify on the poster above me. If you're going to go novice you and your horse have to be USEA registered.

I think they covered everything else, but I'll just give my two cents.

Make sure you have an armband and a vest, you can just borrow them, but you will not be allowed to go on XC without them. (Trust me, I learned that one the hard way. :D )

You can ride in what ever tack you'd like, you don't need a dressage saddle. Make sure that the bit you're planning to use in Dressage is legal-No leverage bits, no "harsh" mouthpieces, when in doubt, look it up in the rule book. Also for XC you'll want some sort of boots for your horse, since you're a jumper you probably already have some, as long as your horse is careful you can use open fronts or you can find/borrow some galloping boots to protect the whole leg, that's just personal preference.

Good luck at your fist event and have fun! Most eventers are friendly and helpful, if you forget something or need some advice I'm sure you'll have many people available to help you.

MudPaint 06-16-2012 11:02 PM

Unrecognized, starter and schooling events usually don't require you to have a USEA membership.

You'll want protective boots that do not retain water... woof boots, splint boots, etc, they should also have a strike pad on the back of the tendon for the front legs.

As long as your helmet is ASTM (or whatever the initials are) approved, you should be ok. You will also need a crash vest and arm band.

You're currently jumping 2'9"? Hmm... Novice goes up to 2'11" so you may want to start out at beginner novice, just to keep it easy and safe. Currently I event BN but we're schooling 3'3", keeps the xc and sj questions easy.

Splints are common in all breeds. I don't think I've ever owned a horse that didn't pop a splint due to regular work. Lower level eventing is probably ok for your guy, but since the unsoundess is from an injury, you may want to have it checked on a regular basis to ensure the work isn't causing problems.

Good luck! Welcome to eventing... it's a lot of fun and everyone is pretty cool.

CJ82Sky 06-19-2012 09:41 AM

if you show an unrecognized show, you do not need to be USEA registered. i am not and i compete at local shows for fun a few times a year. also if you are doing level 1 in jumpers, i would recommend starting with beginner novice in eventing for at least your first time out. while the height is much lower than you are used to, it will be more than likely an easy ride and end up positive and rewarding for both you and your horse. the higher fences (novice is 2'11") while still relatively easy are going to be slightly more challenging because they will be quite different than what you see in the jumper ring.

also many places, at least the ones near me, allow schooling days where you cna pay a small fee and practice over the XC jumps. some of the shows will change their courses as some of the jumps are moveable (it all varies on show, construction type, etc.), but it's a great opportunity to get your horse familiar with the atmosphere and style of jumps. i usually school the level i'm showing at and one level higher, following the good old rule to show one level below what you are comfortable schooling at.

good luck and enjoy!