The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jokes and Funnies (http://www.horseforum.com/jokes-funnies/)
-   -   Aussie Saddle? WHAT?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/jokes-funnies/aussie-saddle-what-127130/)

Conrad And Freddie 06-14-2012 07:14 PM

Aussie Saddle? WHAT?!?!
 
Ok so I'm fairly knew to the forum, only joined this year. As I'm browsing through these posts and threads I'm seeing people talking about "Aussie Saddles". And I'm all like "Aussie saddle? WHAT?! There is an Australian Saddle?!" and I begin to loose my 'nanas, cause, I'm Australian born and bred and I have not ONCE heard the term "Aussie Saddle". So I'm freaking.

After awhile I'm just like "Nup. There is no "Aussie Saddle". I have not seem a saddle made out of a freaking kangaroo. A saddle with our flag on it. I have not seen a saddle shaped like Australia. There is no such freakin' thing!". So I keep it to myself, but eventually it boils over and I just HAVE to know what the **** Aussie saddle is!

So I get on Google and I type it in. And you bloody Americans! A stock saddle. A freakin' stock saddle! Like "DUUUHHH! Of course you silly girl!". Only you know the saddle that you see on just about every horse here. Never EVER have I heard it been called an "Aussie saddle". So many laughs were had and I'm feeling like a real silly billy. A stock saddle, really.

:rofl:

katbalu 06-14-2012 07:16 PM

So...kangaroo hide saddles... Hmmm. Wonder how that would be..
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 06-14-2012 07:16 PM

Well seeing as we ride our stock horses in Western saddles typically, the name doesn't fit here! Most Aussie saddles are used for endurance and trail riding here.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 06-14-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad And Freddie (Post 1548336)
Ok so I'm fairly knew to the forum, only joined this year. As I'm browsing through these posts and threads I'm seeing people talking about "Aussie Saddles". And I'm all like "Aussie saddle? WHAT?! There is an Australian Saddle?!" and I begin to loose my 'nanas, cause, I'm Australian born and bred and I have not ONCE heard the term "Aussie Saddle". So I'm freaking.

After awhile I'm just like "Nup. There is no "Aussie Saddle". I have not seem a saddle made out of a freaking kangaroo. A saddle with our flag on it. I have not seen a saddle shaped like Australia. There is no such freakin' thing!". So I keep it to myself, but eventually it boils over and I just HAVE to know what the **** Aussie saddle is!

So I get on Google and I type it in. And you bloody Americans! A stock saddle. A freakin' stock saddle! Like "DUUUHHH! Of course you silly girl!". Only you know the saddle that you see on just about every horse here. Never EVER have I heard it been called an "Aussie saddle". So many laughs were had and I'm feeling like a real silly billy. A stock saddle, really.

:rofl:

And if you said "stock saddle" in the US, you'd have people thinking you meant a western saddle. Hell, nine times out of ten, I have to explain to people just what my Aussie saddle is because they don't even know what they are. I usually say "Australian stock saddle," though, if I'm explaining it to someone who doesn't know what they are.

Conrad And Freddie 06-14-2012 07:23 PM

Yes Kat, I was a little confused, I didn't think that a kangaroo saddle would be very popular :/

And Zeke that's very interesting! I can't speak for every horse rider in Australia, but where I live, stock saddles are mainly used for well stock. Like by the Jillaroos and Jackaroos when mustering. Western saddles are more seen in rodeos for like competition. I think that's starting to change, because now they have a "Western" class going in my town where people go to learn how to ride the "Traditional American Western way" or something along those lines. I was thinking of joining, but I'm not too sure my TB would like it :P

apachewhitesox 06-14-2012 07:27 PM

I had the same reaction when I first came on here. Their aussie saddles are our stock saddles because they call western saddles stock saddles. So I am told.

smrobs 06-14-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1548342)
And if you said "stock saddle" in the US, you'd have people thinking you meant a western saddle. Hell, nine times out of ten, I have to explain to people just what my Aussie saddle is because they don't even know what they are. I usually say "Australian stock saddle," though, if I'm explaining it to someone who doesn't know what they are.

^^That's exactly it. Over here, if you mention "stock saddle", people will generally picture something like this
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...Flankcinch.jpg

That's the reason for the "Aussie saddle" or "Aussie Stock Saddle" description :wink:.

And like others said, Aussie stock saddles in this part of the world are generally used for trail and/or endurance riding. Because we handle cattle differently over here, our "stock" saddles are designed to be roped off of, with the horn and heavy duty tree.

DraftyAiresMum 06-14-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1548383)
^^That's exactly it. Over here, if you mention "stock saddle", people will generally picture something like this
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...Flankcinch.jpg

That's the reason for the "Aussie saddle" or "Aussie Stock Saddle" description :wink:.

And like others said, Aussie stock saddles in this part of the world are generally used for trail and/or endurance riding. Because we handle cattle differently over here, our "stock" saddles are designed to be roped off of, with the horn and heavy duty tree.

Just like in England they don't usually say "English saddle" like we do here. Same saddle, different name. I can guarantee you that Australia is the only place they call it just a "stock saddle".
Posted via Mobile Device

HollyBubbles 07-17-2012 02:08 AM

I'm in NZ, and to me... that picture is a western saddle

To any average kiwi... This is a stock saddle
http://www.theoverseersaddlery.com.a...NIORST_big.jpg

Funny how there's so many different names for the same thing huh

myhorsesonador 07-17-2012 02:35 AM

you if I told you that some of the ones here have a horn? From what I've herd, real Aussie stock saddles don't have a horn?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0