The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   My new hobby - dog training (progress diary) (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/my-new-hobby-dog-training-progress-127197/)

LoveStory10 06-15-2012 09:52 AM

My new hobby - dog training (progress diary)

5 Attachment(s)
In April I enrolled my now 3 year old cocker spaniel Sadie in obedience classes to work on her behaviour on the leash, and she has really improved. In this short frame of time, she has become an angel on the leash, and we have completed the basics. i.e Sit, stay and down. In May she took her CGC exam (Canine Good Citizen) with my mom, who is her obedience handler, and successfully passed, along with me and my trainers cocker spaniel Lucky.

Next month we are going for our therapy exams, once again, my mom with Sadie, and myself with Lucky. We are confident that we will all pass... Lucky is already a therapy dog, so it is just me, my mom, Sadie, my Aunt, and her retriever Molly that need to pass. Once, and if, we pass, we can start taking the dogs to schools, along with hospitals, old age homes, prisons, and the like. It will be a wonderful experience for all of us, and I'm sure also for the people we visit with.

As of yesterday, my Sadie is in training for agility, this time with me as her handler, as agility is more intense than obedience, so Sadie will have a better chance with me in the ring, as I have more energy than my mom. I have been trained in agility since April, working with the three dogs owned by my trainer - Ice, Lucky, and Shilo. Shilo and Ice will be competing at the end of July at the biggest dog show event in South Africa, and with any luck, I may be taking Lucky.

The Dogs:

Ice - Ice is my trainers 4 year old border collie. He was a rescue dog she picked up from the SPCA. He was an extremely timid dog, but through her guidance and love he is now a very well trained dog, is a certified therapy dog, and is one of the top agility dogs the country.

Shilo - Shilo is also my trainers. She is a 5 year old rough collie that has been owned by my trainer sinve puppyhood. Shilo is a visual aid in lessons to demonstrate how our dogs should do a manouver correctly, and is also an excellent agility dog. She is not the fastest dog, but is highly accurate in her runs, which is an excellent quality in an agility dog.

Lucky - Lucky is a 7 year old cocker spaniel. He is owned and trained by my trainer, but has become "mine" for therapy, and until my dog is trained enough, my agility dog for shows. Lucky is a seasoned therapy dog, and is a C grade in agility, which is the highest a dog can go. He won South African champion when he was 4, so I have a very good dog on my hands.

Sadie - Sadie is my 3 year old cocker spaniel, all the information about her is at the top of the page.

Molly - Molly is my aunts 6 month old flat coated retriever, who started training also in April. She is a very sweet dog, but is very strong, so needs lots of work before we go for our therapy exams. She passed her CGC with flying colours, so we are confident she will do well. When she turns 9 months old she will be enrolled in agility lessons, with either myself or my brother as her handler. We are leaning towards my brother, as I have my hands full with Lucky and Sadie, plus Molly will soon get too big for me to comfortably control.

I will update after each lesson! :D

Pictures!! In order of: Molly, Shilo, Ice, Lucky and Sadie:

Attachment 102376

Attachment 102377

Attachment 102378

Attachment 102379

Attachment 102380

rosieroo 07-02-2012 07:07 PM

Aw the dogs are gorgeous and sounds like you're having a lot of fun :)

paintluver 07-04-2012 02:27 PM

Awww I also share the Dog Training Hobby! So much fun right? The dogs are lovely!

LoveStory10 08-31-2012 03:25 AM

10 Attachment(s)
It is great fun, I love it.

These are not my dogs, I was the one behind the camera :P

Please ask any questions :)

Attachment 111054

Attachment 111055

Attachment 111056

Attachment 111057

Attachment 111058

Attachment 111059

Attachment 111060

Attachment 111061

Attachment 111062

Attachment 111063

WickedNag 08-31-2012 08:37 AM

My daughter is the one who does the training with our dogs. She took Zoey through obedience several years ago and has taught Hazel.

They both know the basics and Hazel knows how to shake and roll over as well. Love my dogs :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ertz/109-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ertz/002-1.jpg

Cruiser 09-01-2012 12:17 PM

I do lots of dog training with neighborhood dogs. Personally can't stand the people enough to do it as a job. But my own dog Cruiser is trained to the standards of a physical assistance dog, he opens doors, closes them, turns on and off light, picks up and retrieves items by name. As well as roll over, play dead, sit, down, stay, come, emergency down, beg, touch nose, touch paw, shake, stand, and a whole bunch more like agility. My dog doesn't know how to heel though and has a hard time focusing while on a leash so everything is taught without one attached. Bring him to parades, and large community events, and everyone loves him, sadly though he is scared of sheep so he'll never herd after being chased by goats.