The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Nutrition gurus - what do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/nutrition-gurus-what-do-you-think-127207/)

AbbeyCPA 06-15-2012 12:08 PM

Nutrition gurus - what do you think?

I'd just like you guys to tell me what you think of our feed program and what we're feeding. Ordering brands that our feed store doesn't stock or supply is a little too pricey, so Purina is the only available in-town brand. Shurgain isn't as expensive, but the dealer is 45 minutes out of town so we buy in bulk.

Also, I posted a thread yesterday about eating wood/bark and realized I posted the feed weights totally wrong, got my kgs/lbs mixed up :oops: - so disregard that completely to any of you who've seen it.

They're fed at 8 am and 5 pm, 4 flakes of timothy/alfalfa mix am and 5 flakes pm (not sure how much they weigh, they're from large square bales). It's pretty much free choice though, they go an hour or two without hay before each feed.

Abbey (TB mare, hacking/light-moderate work 3x week) fed 2x
2 lbs Shurgain Fat n Fiber
2 lbs Purina Trimax
1 lb soaked beet pulp

Charlie (TB gelding, lawn ornament) fed 2x
4 lbs Shurgain Fat n Fiber
1 lb soaked beet pulp

Nishka (Paint cross mare, hacking, light-moderate work 3x week) fed 2x
0.4 lb Accelerator Plus Ration Balancer

Aurora (Appendix mare, lawn ornament, occasional hack) fed 2x
0.4 lb Accelerator Plus Ration Balancer

I'm taking Abbey off of the Trimax and putting her on just Fat n Fiber, and also want to know what you think about this added to Charlie and Abbey's feed:

http://www.nutrecocanada.com/docs/sg...supplement.pdf

These are the links to their current feed:

Accelerator Plus Ration Balancer
http://www.nutrecocanada.com/docs/sg...n-balancer.pdf

Fat n Fiber
http://www.nutrecocanada.com/docs/sg...rse-ration.pdf

Trimax
http://www.agripurina.ca/Documents/E...ets/TriMAX.pdf

Thanks in advance! Constructive criticism appreciated :-P

verona1016 06-15-2012 08:30 PM

Do they have any access to grazing? If so, is the pasture good quality and not over-grazed?

9 flakes of hay per day doesn't sound like a lot between 4 horses, but if they're getting lots of grazing then it shouldn't be an issue. You usually want to aim for 1.5-2% of the horse's (ideal) body weight each day in forage, whether that is pasture grazing or hay. Your TB's may need a higher percentage than this.

I like that you're feeding a ration balancer, which I prefer over grain in almost all cases (although I'm not familiar with the particular one you're using and they don't list their ingredients in that link). I assume you mean you're feeding 0.4 kg (not lb) per feeding, for a total of 0.8 kg per day, which would be the recommended amount.

I'm assuming Abbey and Charlie are hard keepers, given that they're both getting Shurgain and beet pulp (and that they're TB's, who are stereotypically hard keepers). I'm not sure they're getting proper nutrition from the Shurgain/Trimax. Both of those have very short guaranteed analysis lists, which means that there's a lot of stuff that they've probably left out. I'd consider swapping them to the same ration balancer you're using for Nishka and Aurora and supplementing extra calories with (more) beet pulp, rice bran, and/or alfalfa (pellets, cubes, or hay).

You can try an online resource like FeedXl.com to really get a good look at their nutritional profile, but it's a little pricey when you have 4 horses ($30/month or $90/year). I started using it very recently for my horse, discovered that he was not getting enough copper (which is necessary for hoof health- his hooves were growing VERY slowly), started changing his diet, and within a week his hooves were already growing noticeably faster! They don't have any of your feeds in their system already, but say that they will add feeds on request. I'd recommend asking them to add those before you sign up if you want to go that route :-)

AbbeyCPA 06-17-2012 04:20 AM

I know 9 flakes doesn't seem like much, but they're the large square bales and if we feed any more they don't finish it and it goes to waste. I'll weigh one of them tomorrow to give you an idea of how much they're getting in weight per day.

And as for the 0.4 lb of ration balancer, that's fed 2x a day which is 0.8 lb, which is a little less than 0.4 kg per day. I agree it's not enough, their both super easy keepers so I'm going to look for something with less fat so I can feed the recommended amount without worrying about weight issues.

Also, how much more beet pulp would you suggest adding?

Thank you!

verona1016 06-18-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeyCPA (Post 1552062)
I know 9 flakes doesn't seem like much, but they're the large square bales and if we feed any more they don't finish it and it goes to waste. I'll weigh one of them tomorrow to give you an idea of how much they're getting in weight per day.

And as for the 0.4 lb of ration balancer, that's fed 2x a day which is 0.8 lb, which is a little less than 0.4 kg per day. I agree it's not enough, their both super easy keepers so I'm going to look for something with less fat so I can feed the recommended amount without worrying about weight issues.

Also, how much more beet pulp would you suggest adding?

Thank you!

Not sure what's available in your area, but Purina has two ration balancers. Enrich 32 (32% protein/5% fat) and Enrich 12 (12% protein/2% fat). I feed Triple Crown 30% Supplement, but there are only 2 TC dealers listed on their website for all of Canada :shock:

How much beet pulp to feed would depend on any other changes you make in their diets, but if you're thinking of replacing the Fat-n-Fiber and/or Trimax, I'd start with 3-4 lbs/day (dry weight) and adjust from there (plus a ration balancer or vitamin)