The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I just got a job offer! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-just-got-job-offer-127219/)

Rachel1786 06-15-2012 12:46 PM

I just got a job offer!

For 2 years(full time consistently, I've worked there off and on since I was 12) I've been working at my moms boarding kennel, I do a lot of grooming since I went to petsmarts grooming school about 3 years ago and then worked for a private grooming salon, when things fell apart(long story, but I was grossly under paid and when I complained they fired me, I wasn't even making enough to cover gas and daycare for my son, so working there was costing me money) there I went to work for my mom. Today I got a message on facebook from a good friend of the family, Rachel also, asking me to call her, I didn't immediately(I was actually concerned because recently one of her clients started coming to me, she's a groomer also) Then my mom text me that she wanted me to call her, I text my mom if she knew why but while I was waiting for her reply Rachel called me and offered me a job. Unfortunately I'm very busy at my moms and really don't have time to take on more responsibility, although I'm sure I could make good money just working a day or 2 a week if I could manage. It's a really good opportunity and I'm sure I would learn a lot, but I also greatly doubt my grooming ability and I'm not sure if I could groom to her standards. She was at the kennel the other week while I was grooming a standard poodle, and while the dog wasn't close to done, maybe she saw something she liked. I'm really torn right now and I'd ideally like to take a day off my moms and work there, but I don't see how I could do that to my mom. I'm honestly torn as to what to do. Right now I work mon-thurs and I alternate Friday and saturdays. So technically I could work on my off friday and saturday(Rachel's is closed on sunday) but then I would only have off one day a week and I'm sure I'd get burnt out fairly quickly.

Joe4d 06-15-2012 01:21 PM

you are "sure" you could make more money ? How sure did the job offer come with a salary ? Family is one thing business is another you need to separate the two unless you plan on using mom as a security blanket for the rest of your life.

You need to compare job A (mom) with job B, salary ? working conditions? chance for promotion ? job security ? All things being equal give mom notice and ask her to meet new salary....

However things get sticky if you are still living there and being supported by her. If so you need to either cut the apron strings and make your own way in the world or live under her rules and desires.

Rachel1786 06-15-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1549640)
you are "sure" you could make more money ? How sure did the job offer come with a salary ? Family is one thing business is another you need to separate the two unless you plan on using mom as a security blanket for the rest of your life.

You need to compare job A (mom) with job B, salary ? working conditions? chance for promotion ? job security ? All things being equal give mom notice and ask her to meet new salary....

However things get sticky if you are still living there and being supported by her. If so you need to either cut the apron strings and make your own way in the world or live under her rules and desires.

I would not be leaving my moms, just trying to figure out if I would swing working one or 2 days a week at the other place. It's already been sorted out that I will be the kennel owner when my mom retires and or if something were to happen to her. Typically grooming jobs are commission based, usually it's 50%, at my moms I make either 30% plus and hourly rate, or if I'm off the clock 50%. I'm not sure what the new job would offer pay wise, I didn't ask her on the phone as I'm not sure if I could make it work, she told me to call her if there is anyway I would pick up some hours there.

I'm 26 years old and I do not live at home, My boyfriend and I own our own house with our son a short distance away. I have no desire to stop working at the kennel. My mom relies on me a lot at work and I'm very busy with grooming there and I'm not sure I would be able to pick up hours elsewhere but I know what the other groomer charges and if I am going to be making a 50% commission(which I'm not sure I would be) I could easily make $100/day, more if I learn how to groom faster. The extra money would really be helpful since I feel like I'm kinda drowning right now.

gunslinger 06-15-2012 02:19 PM

Make it work. You need the money.

Seriously, as a younger man I ran up a lot of debt. I then worked two jobs to pay it off.

You don't have to work two jobs forever, but long enough to get some relief from your obligations.