The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Tenakee's Foaling Thread **Update** Foal Has Arrived! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/tenakees-foaling-thread-%2A%2Aupdate%2A%2A-foal-has-127229/)

ButtInTheDirt 06-15-2012 02:35 PM

Tenakee's Foaling Thread **Update** Foal Has Arrived!

3 Attachment(s)
Seeing as the days are drawing closer I figured I would make a shiny new thread to honor Tenakee's pregnancy. I will make a vow to update it regularly and not write a novel every time I do. :lol: If you want to look at old updates and a bit more of her story; Curly Horse Foaling Thread!

Tenakee* is an 18 year old American 'Bashkir' Curly who was owned by Joe Mead himself, a well known guru in the world of Curly horses. Tenakee's name means "Coppery Shield Bay" in Tlingit - a tribe native to Alaska. Tenakee was a broodmare most of her life and is tentative registered in the American Bashkir Curly Registry, otherwise known as the ABCR. Her pedigree.

The stallion is 12 year old appaloosa-patterned MCH Buddy*. He is a pretty mellow and easy going guy but has the curiosity factor that he surely passed onto his last foal. I have met him once and I wouldn't have guessed he was a stallion. He behaved very well and was in a herd of all mares and a yearling colt that was also from this same pairing. The colt could even come right up behind him and he didn't seem to mind. He is fully registered in the ABCR; His pedigree.

The last foal they had was a stocky straight-haired colt that wasn't eligible for registry in ABCR. I am really hoping for a curly coated filly with maybe some appaloosa pattern on her. I'd be contented with just a filly, but a healthy foal in general is something that is the most important to me.

We are currently unsure of her due date as they told us that she should have the foal around September, but everyone who has seen her - including a vet - concluded that she should be July/August with her foal. But who knows, anything's possible I guess! Could be a little filly waiting for me next week, or a colt come fall. But if I had to guess when it would be the week we leave for Texas. ;3 Seems to be how things work.

-First picture; Tenakee 6/14/12
-Second picture; MCH Buddy
-Their colt from 2011

WesternTale 06-15-2012 02:36 PM

Shes adorable! When she due?
Posted via Mobile Device

ButtInTheDirt 06-15-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternTale (Post 1549733)
Shes adorable! When she due?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! Somewhere around July/August we're thinking.

WesternTale 06-15-2012 02:39 PM

Ooh, you must be excited!
Posted via Mobile Device

ButtInTheDirt 06-15-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternTale (Post 1549741)
Ooh, you must be excited!
Posted via Mobile Device

Of course, very much so! (:

WesternTale 06-15-2012 02:41 PM

what are your plans for the foal? Sell/keep/western/english,?
Posted via Mobile Device

countryryder 06-15-2012 03:26 PM

Tenakee is looking good. :)

ButtInTheDirt 06-15-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternTale (Post 1549746)
what are your plans for the foal? Sell/keep/western/english,?
Posted via Mobile Device

I do plan on keeping the foal if all goes well. They'll hopefully be an all around pony if he has all the right moves. (I'm just going to use 'him' as a collective term at this point.) I plan on being more geared towards western riding, as we will probably make a trail horse out of him if nothing else. I would really like to start training him to drive when he is two years old. (Being able to ground drive and get him used to dragging poles, wearing the harness, navigating obstacles, etc). When he turns three I'll get him used to the cart and pulling it longer distances but nothing too much. At four I will start his career under saddle and continue with our driving goals. Whether he will ever move well enough to do Western or English pleasure is yet to be seen. I would absolutely love to use him to try out dressage but if he moves anything like his mother he has little to no hope. :lol:

But boy do I have high hopes for this foal. I pray that everything goes well so I can achieve these dreams. He's going to be my project for the coming years. But while he's younger I plan on just ponying him around with his mom - who also needs a refresher - in the trails around the farm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryryder (Post 1549803)
Tenakee is looking good. :)

Thanks! With a lot of TLC she has come a long way in these three months we've had her.

ButtInTheDirt 06-15-2012 04:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
6/14/25

I took Tenakee into the riding arena - formerly known as the 'machine shed', which I have to constantly remind myself not to call it that. :lol: Try to ignore the fact there is a ping-pong table in there as well as children's toys in the sand, I swear it is an arena. The majority of it is still concrete so riding hasn't started in there quite yet. Once we knock out all the concrete and remove the obstacles it should be a nice little haven. It was considerably windy so I figured if I had the area - why not? So we had a grooming session and she got to have some nice hay all to herself. I haven't felt the foal kick lately but I think it's just trying to make me insane.

She hasn't had too many changes. Both vet and some friends who breed horses say she has to within the next month or so. She always seems to just be very loose and jiggly. You can pick up her tail and swish it around and she doesn't even try to clamp it down. But she has been like that for the past month, so I'm not sure what to think. :? I've been also working a lot on manners with her and she is a quick learner. (Which is definitely refreshing.) Just practice with loading, not walking on top of me, not stepping on my shoes and taking them off, etc.

Of course most importantly, here are some pictures;

-A nice cool barn on a hot day, good time to relax
-Showing off the right side
-We've made leaps and bounds with the matted frizz of a mane she had
-Checking out the field that her stall will adjoin to
-Grazing with the nice new braids in - gotta keep that hair in good condition
-Giving me dirty looks as I take pictures of her in the temporary pasture

WesternTale 06-15-2012 04:17 PM

I just cant get over that mane!
Posted via Mobile Device