The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Letting others ride your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/letting-others-ride-your-horse-127258/)

Debbiesgypsy 06-15-2012 07:50 PM

Letting others ride your horse?

Whats the risk and whats the liability? My mare has had 60 days training and i would like to find a 4H or FFA member that wants to ride but can not afford to keep a horse. I would keep horse at my place and they would be allowed to come ride her a couple times a week. And with the couple times a week i can ride together we can put some miles on her. I don't know any thing about horse laws In Washington State. Is this some thing i could do with out to much liability or would i need them to sign a liability release and contract. Has any one had experience with this type of thing?

Thanks

Saddlebag 06-15-2012 08:22 PM

If someone pays to ride your horse that changes the legal liability. I'd get a waiver signed and if under age, signed by the parent as well. My opening sentence in my waiver begins By being involved in equine activities I am aware that this could result in my death or permanent injury.

Skyseternalangel 06-15-2012 08:23 PM

You should look into getting liability insurance. Registering with USEF covers this if you are in America, for around $40 I believe.

RandysWifey 06-15-2012 08:28 PM

yes, get a contract 100%! I would get one that states that the rider is liable for any injury incured to herself and the horse (especially if the rider is neglectful). People now-a-days are sue happy so even if it's a free lease type of deal you should def. protect yourself :)

Prinella 06-15-2012 08:33 PM

Also especially with a green horse make sure you like the way a person rides. I will not let one of my closest friends who was my instructor ride Ella because we ride differently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 06-15-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinella (Post 1550234)
Also especially with a green horse make sure you like the way a person rides. I will not let one of my closest friends who was my instructor ride Ella because we ride differently.
Posted via Mobile Device

GOOD point! Green horses need consistency or else they will get frustrated and confused.

cakemom 06-15-2012 08:51 PM

I'm the opposite. I like my greenie ridden by many riders. All must be competent but having a different seat and hands as long as they work soft and forward I'm ok. Flicka is green and I take her to the barn for camp weeks and have her used by the teen girls who are advanced, she learns to put away the vices that we allow her because we are used to her ways. She's progressed tons from it.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 06-16-2012 12:28 AM

I would research the equine liability laws for your state. In CA. you would get your butt hauled into court for a bruise ! Let alone get someones child hurt. 4h FFa.. someones child. Also see if the 4H or FFA has a liability ins.