The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Please help...Ringworm on our horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/please-help-ringworm-our-horse-127355/)

Chelley 06-16-2012 07:46 PM

Please help...Ringworm on our horse!

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to treat and get rid of ringworm. She is nursing a foal so can't completely isolate her, and horrified our foal is going to start breaking out.

I have read to use iodine, Listerine, athlete's foot spray, black walnut oil....so many things. What have you used that has proven to work well?

We purchased Mane and Tail medicated shampoo and my daughter started using that on her today (with gloves) and we also bought Listerine and the over-the-counter athlete's foot spray...was going to treat once a day with each. We also sprayed around the barn and areas where she rubs with bleach.

Just makes me itch and feel creepy crawly just thinking of it and I feel so gross now after we have been in the barn. I'm scrubbing constantly like I am going into surgery. ANY suggestions and proven remedies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Saddlebag 06-16-2012 07:51 PM

Try to clip the area around for about an inch. Apply betadine with a small sponge. it lives on keratin in the hair, that is why to clip if you can. I've used Koppertox. It is a fungus.

Cherie 06-16-2012 11:07 PM

The safest thing I know to use is very effective and not very toxic or nasty to handle. It is a fungicide for garden plants called Captan. It is a 'wetable powder' that does not stay in solution very well so you want to sake it or stir it good before using it. It does not blister or burn and you can wash blankets and brushes in it. I would probably still use a Clorox Solution for brushes and stuff that it won't hurt.

You can buy Captan at any garden center. I looked at my old shaker can of it and it is 'Hy-yield'.