The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Hot Headed Hard Keeper (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/hot-headed-hard-keeper-127358/)

Emerald24 06-16-2012 08:15 PM

Hot Headed Hard Keeper

Hi Everybody!

My two year old colt has proved to be a hard keeper from the day he was born. He is also very "hot" and has loads of energy. I think that some of his antics are attributed to the fact that he is a 2 year old, but he is, in general, more rambunctious than any other youngin' I've owned.

During the Winter, I tried him on Purina Strategy. That was a big mistake... He became a total and complete maniac!

First, what is it about Strategy that you think made him so hot? Is it the high protein and/or starches?

Second, Is there a complete feed that you recommend for a hot, hard keeper?

Thanks for any advice you can provide! :-)

Palomine 06-16-2012 08:20 PM

Best thing to do is try some different feeds and keep a log of what is going on when he is on each. And have hay or grass tested for nutritional analysis, to make sure that isn't making it worse.

I'd be tempted to do 10 pellets maybe, but trying several works best to see.

walkinthewalk 06-17-2012 09:32 AM

Ditto the food allergies; I have one like that.

He also has dust/mold/pollen allergies; none of which I figured out until he was much older. He was born with plenty of attitude so I always attributed his antics to his blood line. That was only partially true, allergies were the bulk of his problems.

He's now 18 and has been with me since he was 2-1/2; he was such a snot face in his youth that I hung onto to him so he wouldn't end up on a truck bound for some slaughter plant:shock:

I would try a grain-free ration balancer.

If the bag says "distillers grains", that's ok. It means the sugars/starches have been taken out by whiskey makers and the dried grain re-sold to feed makers.

Make sure "roughage products" is NOT on the ingredients list. It's a worthless filler that could mean anything.\

Also, foals can indeed be born with ulcers:shock:

The weaning process can cause ulcers:shock:

Ulcers in Foals - Diseases and Conditions/Reference | EquiMed - Horse Health Matters

I would also want to rule out ulcers, since they seem to be so common in young horses these days.

Hopefully you have a vet that isn't a "cow vet" and will help you figure out what's going on with your horse besides "the Terrible Twos" :-)

Skyseternalangel 06-17-2012 09:49 AM

Hmm I thought I would contribute.

I've had some horses become very "hot" on particular feeds and then be fine on others. Like my horse went absolutely insane on SafeChoice and it wasn't until we swapped to a similar feed that he was fine with the same amount.

It could be an allergic reaction, it could be high protein or too much digestible energy (as in they're getting lots of hay and pasture, so since they aren't working hard as let's say a seasoned 7 year old, they can bounce off the walls if given more)

I don't know for sure, but just to let you know it happens!

Black Beauty 94 06-24-2012 08:41 PM

I would think the hotness would come from the high protein/fat and if he isn't lounged or in training.

I would try a multi vitamin, such as Stateline. You can buy cheap and you find it on horse.com, and that should not make him hot, but gets all the vitamins he needs. For the grain, look for lower protein/multi-purpose

Good luck!

Emerald24 06-25-2012 09:49 AM

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated! Ya'll are the best! :-)