The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Groundwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/groundwork-127360/)

HorseGirlFive 06-16-2012 08:43 PM

Groundwork

I go to a horse rescue barn, and a lot of the horses there need a lot of work on the ground and in saddle. Is there any tips anyone can give me to get a horse to listen to you by using groundwork? Thank you! :-)

tinyliny 06-16-2012 09:03 PM

horsegirl,

It's great that you;re working at a rescue. Do they want you to do ground work with the horses? Is there anyone there who can show you what to do? It's hard to explain sucha wide topic as any groundwork that might help. Very general. And working with horses that have been rescued might mean you need to take into account their physical state , if they are underfed or abused.

Isnt' there anyone there who can show you some things? It's so much better to learn by watching someone else than by reading.

Skyseternalangel 06-16-2012 09:20 PM

I would ask the people there, as some horses are better left on their own for awhile as they get into better physical health.

I think merely spending time with them, with the rescue's permission, is a good direction to take. When they are fit enough to work with, then you should wait for the rescue to give you a task to work with them on.

Horses, as you probably know, think backwards from us as they are flight animals and we are predators. If you do something wrong, since these are rescue cases they aren't typically healthy in mind and may react in a surprising and dangerous manner. Better to be safe than sorry and ask for guidance by the rescue every step of the way.

:)

loosie 06-16-2012 09:22 PM

Agree with Tiny I'm afraid - it sounds like you're a beginner or someone with very little experience in training, so it's beyond the scope of a forum to give you an entire grounding(pardon the pun) in horsemanship, which seems to be what you're wanting. Find a good trainer to help you learn. In the meantime though, learning the principles of 'clicker training' will be very helpful to you.

HorseGirlFive 06-16-2012 09:53 PM

Okay thanks.. I'll check with the barn owner (also known as my aunt) and see what she says about who I should take out to work with and everything. I was thinking off possibly watching Clinton Anderson videos too. :)

Skyseternalangel 06-16-2012 09:58 PM

Anything you can do to expand your horse knowledge is recommended :)

Just clear it with the owner first :wink: before you practice.