The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   help! nail in hoof advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-nail-hoof-advice-127387/)

klaatu 06-17-2012 02:50 AM

help! nail in hoof advice

Hello
i have an Arab mare who i rescued about 10 years ago, she was in terrible condition and i have never used her as a riding horse, just sat in my paddock.
I am in Queensland Australia and our property was damaged through the flood last year, and its been a long effort cleaning it up, however this mare somehow got a nail from something washed up, straight up through her hoof.
We pulled it out, and it was incredibly swollen and oozing with pus so we washed it with betadine every day. A month later we got the vet out, as she was still limping and we saw her hoof had a hole that the vet could put her finger through, and it was still just oozing pus and smelt incredibly bad. She was on antibiotics for a week with bute. and she was slowly putting more weight on her foot. However now that she is off the pain killers, she is limping still, and the vet had said if she hadn't improved in a week, it might be damage in the tendons and such which would never heal and just cause her pain. She was in the stables for about 2 weeks, just resting, and she has been let out again these past few days, and today as i was bringing her in, she didn't understand how to go in her stable, and kept turning around and couldn't get past the gate :S

So, over 2 months later she has not improved, except for her hoof a bit less smelly.
Any advice on what to do or similar situations or if a horse can go crazy from pain?

thanks

loosie 06-17-2012 03:33 AM

Afraid it doesn't sound promising.:-( I appreciate the difficulty you may have been in at the time, floods & all, but leaving it a month to get the vet was just too little, way too late. That sort of injury needs urgent attention. I'd be wanting xrays/ultrasound and clinical care if you're going to try to save this horse... & keep your fingers x'd!

klaatu 06-17-2012 03:39 AM

ahhh i know it was way to late :( Just didnt want the cost of a vet incase she was going to heal herself. Never had to have a vet out before!
Dont know if we should go through that cost for a horse we got for free, saving her and probably giving her 10 more years of her life!
fingers crossed :D

Skyseternalangel 06-17-2012 04:00 AM

:( Sad sad news.. I hope she makes it.

muumi 06-17-2012 08:01 AM

Sounds truly awful... I agree that at this point it will probably have been cheaper to have phoned the vet out when it happened, not to mention the horse probably would have been fine by now, but that is a valuable lesson learned. Hope everything works out either way, to what is best for the horse. I'm truly sorry and I feel awful for you both :(

Speed Racer 06-17-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaatu (Post 1552074)
ahhh i know it was way to late :( Just didnt want the cost of a vet incase she was going to heal herself. Never had to have a vet out before!
Dont know if we should go through that cost for a horse we got for free, saving her and probably giving her 10 more years of her life!
fingers crossed :D

What does her having been free have to do with getting her proper medical care? You took on the responsibility of another life. Its purchase price is completely irrelevant.

My last 2 horses have been freebies. I treat them no differently than I do the animals for which I've paid thousands of dollars. I really dislike your attitude that since she was free, she's not worth spending money on.

Skyseternalangel 06-17-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaatu (Post 1552074)

Woah! WOAH... EVERY HORSE is worth giving what they need to. If that is a vet visit, a chiro visit, a saddle eval, special meds, surgery, or sadly even euthanasia then you need to give it to them! Freebie or not.. I agree with Speed Racer's new post.. sheesh!

Sky was free, I've spent over 3 grand in his medical needs alone. It is SO worth it. Even if he lives a short life (which he won't :D he's healthy) it still is worth it and he deserves it!

Jewelsb 06-17-2012 08:28 AM

Agreed
Posted via Mobile Device

klaatu 06-17-2012 08:28 AM

omg. seriously, im 17, shes not my horse, i have no say in what is spent on. she kicks, and had to be sedated just to pick up any of her feet. you have no idea what kind of money we put into our horses so dont try and tell me that i have a bad attitude. i treat them no differently either.
i did not know that the kind of damage would be done, and if i had known then i would of done things differently, and our family has kind of had bigger issues than a sick horse.
maybe you should think about things before you judge people.

i said i was wrong, maybe you should offer advice instead of thinking you are better than me :)
thanks

natisha 06-17-2012 08:29 AM

I'm sorry about your horse but it doesn't sound promising.
For your future reference & anyone reading this who may not know, a nail or other object in a hoof is an emergeny situation. Never pull the nail out yourself as the vet should take an X-ray with the object in so they can determine if any vital structures were damaged & they can see the wound path. The hoof should be padded & wrapped while waiting for the vet.

Saving money can be very costly.