The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Rhubarb (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/rhubarb-127448/)

Lindze 06-17-2012 04:53 PM

Rhubarb

Well, just did our first havest of rhubarb, I hate that we start our season so late :(. We have three Smallish plants that are doubling in size every year.

Today we cut almost seven pounds, so now I'm trying to find things to do with it. I personally dislike the stuff but my hubby and parents, brothers and sisters all like it.

Today I made a strawberry rhubarb pie, have an order to make another tomorrow for a friend. Strawberries are so expensive up here I don't make much off selling them. A pint is about 4-5 dollars, so before charging for my time, effort, and everything
we figured that I make about a dollar charging ten bucks lol. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pay more then that...maybe if I get REALLY good... I just started baking pie last year.

So what do you do with your rhubarb?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-17-2012 05:03 PM

Rhubarb is so good & good for you, full of antioxidants. I make rhubarb muffins, stewed rhubarb, and a rhubarb crumble. I never use sugar or white flour so I substitue all the recipes I find online with whole wheat flour, and for sweetening I will use either honey or a wee bit of splenda for the stewed rhubarb. Google rhubarb recipes, you will find tons!!!

TaMMa89 06-19-2012 06:46 AM

I usually bake rhubarb pie if I've rhubarbs, after getting very delicious (tho a bit unhealthy :wink:) reciper for that few years ago.

Skyseternalangel 06-19-2012 08:09 AM

Rhubarb jam and Rhubarb crumble. Love it with some liquid cream mixed in.

RunSlideStop 06-20-2012 12:21 AM

As a kid, our neighbours behind the pasture grew rhubarb and gave us a paper sack full every now and again. I simply loved to eat it raw! Such an interesting experience. Now that I have discovered strawberry rhubarb pie, I am in love! It's my birthday "cake" every year, and by far my favourite treat/dessert/pie/baked good. Yum!