The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help! Filly put her leg through the fence (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-filly-put-her-leg-through-127462/)

QHH 06-17-2012 08:35 PM

Help! Filly put her leg through the fence

Almost had a heart attack this morning, my new 2yr old filly put her leg through the fence, it's that taut wire stuff - thinking of putting up polytape around the fence to keep her off it.

She just arrived yesterday and was doing very well apart from a little initial snorting, then she settled and grazed, ate etc. So now she's made friends with a couple of horses across the fence and when they move away she starts pawing the fence, needless to say she got her leg caught today and panicked, reared up a bit and untangled herself but limped for a bit after.

Was that a lesson learnt or can I expect repeat performances?! :shock:

CLaPorte432 06-17-2012 08:57 PM

893 Attachment(s)
With a horse...Always expect the unexpected. And just when you think it can't get any worse...It will.

Skyseternalangel 06-17-2012 09:13 PM

Horses are prone to injury. Just keep everything you can in good shape and get the vet out for emergency situations.

Welcome to horse ownership :P

xJumperx 06-17-2012 11:14 PM

Needle in a Haystack? Go get a pony. It's out for ya ;)

QHH 06-18-2012 02:58 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, though not sure if was what I wanted to hear ("yes she learnt her lesson and won't do it again" lol).

This isn't my first horse, I had my own boarding stable and riding school many years ago but it's been a while since I've done this and I've never kept a horse in a paddock unattended, all my horses were stabled.

But she's still a baby you know? :-) and I'm a terrible worry wart!

Samstead 06-18-2012 03:25 AM

Poor thing! She wont be doing that again I hope! You're not alone with the near heart attack though! My dog got out as my mum was backing out today, never thought my voice went that high...

michaelvanessa 06-18-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHH (Post 1552897)
Almost had a heart attack this morning, my new 2yr old filly put her leg through the fence, it's that taut wire stuff - thinking of putting up polytape around the fence to keep her off it.

She just arrived yesterday and was doing very well apart from a little initial snorting, then she settled and grazed, ate etc. So now she's made friends with a couple of horses across the fence and when they move away she starts pawing the fence, needless to say she got her leg caught today and panicked, reared up a bit and untangled herself but limped for a bit after.

Was that a lesson learnt or can I expect repeat performances?! :shock:

probley yes as she is young dont take the chance poly wire will keep her away from it and to respect the fence and i hope she is ok and no dammage has occured to her tendons.

QHH 06-22-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelvanessa (Post 1553457)
probley yes as she is young dont take the chance poly wire will keep her away from it and to respect the fence and i hope she is ok and no dammage has occured to her tendons.

Yes I think you're right, polytape will hopefully keep her safer. No damage thank God, she's fine :-)