The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Rodeos! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/rodeos-127488/)

HarleyWood 06-18-2012 12:44 AM

Rodeos!

theres a rodeo coming up and i was planing on taking my moms horse and maybe mine to it. my moms horse is really good and easy to ride. but mine i sent to training and he was really good then he got injured and i couldnt ride him for 2 months till he was done limping! and now i can finally ride him and its next weekend, i was thinking that i could bring him and if we fail it wouldnt matter because he could get use to the showing. we have yet to canter so we would trot the pattern and probley canter home... the rodeo is about 5 mile from my house so its not far away..

what do you think? would you bring him? what would you do?

DrumRunner 06-18-2012 02:39 AM

I think if you're still having to question yourself it's probably not the best idea to run him..Especially if he's coming back from an injury, he's not in the best shape, and you also have your mom's horse to ride. I would just take it as that and run your mom's horse, that way everyone wins. You get to ride and you don't have to risk further injury or possibly hurting his leg again..Just being safe!

HarleyWood 06-18-2012 01:32 PM

hi leg is fine hes been running around and other stuff, and i have been riding him but i have yet to start on barrel with him.

Casey02 06-18-2012 07:26 PM

Missing one show wont with your horse wont hurt :) i would rather miss a show than running barrels with him (which it sounds like he hasnt done) than hurt himself further

DrumRunner 06-18-2012 09:12 PM

I agree with Casey.. If your horse hasn't ever ran barrels AND is coming back from an injury and time off I wouldn't run him. He is not used to the stress on him that it takes to run barrels and is very likely to hurt himself again. Even if he's running around fine in the pasture..There is a HUGE difference than him having a nice time turned out and then the stress of a show and running barrels.. I would just take your mom's horse and run it..If you want to take your horse for experience I would just haul him and let him stand at the trailer..He'll be getting some show experience but you're not putting him at risk of getting hurt.. Running barrels isn't something you just decide to go hop on your horse and do..Let alone do well at a rodeo..

HarleyWood 06-19-2012 10:54 AM

I tought my moms horse this way last year. Took him to a show and did events and he placed in one event. Out of four. And I had him for a month and he was broke 2 months prior.
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey02 06-19-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

There is a HUGE difference than him having a nice time turned out and then the stress of a show and running barrels..
My thought exactly, i know lame horses that can run in a pasture lol. I dont know the situation but from what is sounds like i dont think your horse is ready to run barrels. If he hasnt seen the pattern and has been off for sometime, and is recovering from and accident, why rush him for one race? Especially if you already have a horse to use. If you want to get some show experience under his belt just bring him along and tie him to the trailer and maybe ride him a LITTLE (as in walking around, that is if he is able to do it)

MangoRoX87 06-20-2012 12:29 AM

Go to some exhibitions, trust me, before you go to a rodeo.. I personally hate watching somebody trotting the pattern at a rodeo unless they are a wee kid on a pony. It's not a time for schooling. I'm not being rude, I'm just saying. And it's not cheap to run, so you better make it worth your while. Take him and get him used to the scene in the warm up and grand entry, but don't run him.

HarleyWood 06-20-2012 12:54 AM

im just tring to get my moms horse broke to do anything so next year or two my little cusin can ride him in shows so thats why im riding him, this is a very little rodeo in a small town and i know the person putting it on and money is no big deal.

1RedHorse 06-20-2012 10:21 AM

Why ask if you're not going to listen.

People ruin good horses.
Posted via Mobile Device