The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Finding a horse to fit a very tall guy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/finding-horse-fit-very-tall-guy-127525/)

Blondehorselover 06-18-2012 12:21 PM

Finding a horse to fit a very tall guy

My fiance wants to buy a horse (he sort of found one at the stable I board at). Problem is he is about 240 lbs. only because he is 6'7. VERY TALL!! He found a draft/appy cross who is 14.3 hh. He rode her bareback and actually didn't look too funny because she is so wide that his legs don't go straight to the ground.

When he rode my horse (who is a 15.3 hh very lean/slightly underweight QH/Arab/TB hothead), the horse seemed to cave under his weight (he rode with the saddle). And I lowered the stirrups all the way and his legs still looked to be in a jockey position.

I guess my questions are
1.) do you think this draft/appy cross (she is very stocky) can handle his weight AND a saddle?
2.) How do I find a draft horse saddle with very long stirrups???

baratta930 06-18-2012 12:33 PM

How about a percheron?

Hi,

Have you considered a Percheron? We have two medium sized Percherons (under 16 hands) at the barn I volunteer at and they have carried very tall riders easily. They don't have the back strength of a mule but when I was heavier (230-240) I would lead/back multiple trail rides a day on them without issue.

These are big horses though, I've seen 18 hands tall geldings that are HUGE!!! (man can their feet get big :)).

Hope this helps ...

Berardino

P.S. wow my first post. I guess I've been lurking for a year :)

Jewelsb 06-18-2012 12:44 PM

I'm not sure that is pretty short I'd be looking for something over 16 hands and if it is draft or draft cross that will be best maybe even a tall stocky Qh that can handle the weight. I'm 6 foot and 155lbs I would never ride anything under 15h but that is just my preferece, I feel like I'm hurting their backs! Lol. My horses are both above 16 hands. Good luck hope he finds something that fits him well:)

Darrin 06-18-2012 12:57 PM

Yes, that appy can haul him around. I'm shorter than your boyfriend but still almost 6'4" and had a slim 14.3 mare for a while. She would carry my butt right up the side of a mountain and back down the other side with no problem. The question is, is he comfortable on the horse? I got rid of that mare for several reasons but one was I just didn't feel as comfortable on her as I did on my 16.2hh gelding.

HagonNag 06-18-2012 01:18 PM

My husband is 6'3" and about 250 lbs. He rides a 16+hh OTTB and has for the last 11 years. You have 2 issues...height and weight. The weight isn't a problem for a horse built to carry weight. You want a lot of bone in the legs and a short back. In fact, a shorter horse with a lower center of gravity should work even better than a tall horse for weight. Your fiance's long legs help distribute his weight better than a short, heavy person and make it easier for the horse to balance him. You also want to be sure that he knows how to balance that weight on a horse and that he isn't bouncing up and down on the horse's back.

With as tall as he is, and long legs, he probably is going to look awkward on a shorter horse. My husband has ridden my 14.2 hand racking horse who is basically a small tank and the horse handled it fine. It just looked absolutely stupid!!! And Jim insisted that he felt he was being split in two (He's used to the narrower OTTB) Because your husband is so tall, he really ought to look at taller, stout horses. A percheron isn't necessary, a foundation quarter horse or any solidly built horse should be able to handle him and a saddle fine. But look at the horse's conformation very carefully. You want a short back with strong loins and NO leg issues because his weight will only exacerbate any existing problems.

Equilove 06-18-2012 01:22 PM

Well I'm 6'1 1/2... and this is me on a 14.3 hand horse...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4444613_n.jpg

Aesthetically: get a taller horse. As far as whether the horse can handle it or not...? Well, I don't think a draft/stock cross will have an issue with 240lbs.

HarleyWood 06-18-2012 02:57 PM

when i sent my TB/QH paint to the trainer he was around 6'4ish kind of skinny. and he did very well and hes around 17hh, when he was 15.2 and smaller his last owner "trained" him and she was pregent and overweight. and carried her pretty well at all gaits. hes a bit thinner also.

My QH whos 16hh and much more muscler then a lot of horses. and can handle a lot more weight.