The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Snaffle bit with rollers? Help please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/snaffle-bit-rollers-help-please-127527/)

SilentPromises 06-18-2012 12:35 PM

Snaffle bit with rollers? Help please!

Hi all! I'm looking at getting my new horse a bit. I am new at purchasing my own tack, so I'm almost completely clueless! I never realized how many different elements went into the purchasing of tack! Wow! Anyway, I stumbled across a bit on eBay, and it's listed as being a "snaffle bit with copper rollers". (I've also attached a picture of it)

I've never seen one of these before, and my first focus is the well being and comfort of the horse. I do not want to purchase anything that is harsher than a regular jointed snaffle, and if possible, would love to purchase something more comfortable and less severe than one.

What is this bit used for? Would it have a greater comfort factor or less of one?
Thanks so much :D

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/Upl...cb361bf99c.jpg

kitten_Val 06-18-2012 12:48 PM

The rollers add some entertainment for the busy-mouthed horse, but personally I'm not fan of using them. During my ride I prefer my horse to concentrate attention on me and my cues, not the rollers.

If you want something gentle I'd suggest to look into 3-link snaffle (oval mouth or french link), preferable copper or sweet iron made (for some taste).

SilentPromises 06-18-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1553861)
If you want something gentle I'd suggest to look into 3-link snaffle (oval mouth or french link), preferable copper or sweet iron made (for some taste).

Thanks for your input! I've heard many different things about french links, so I'm a bit confused about them. How are they more gentle? Thanks so much! :-)

And wait a minute, they make bits that taste good? Genius! haha! However, I am on a budget, I don't want to spend any more than 20 dollars (including shipping) on a bit. Are the french link and 'tasty bits' pricey?

tinyliny 06-18-2012 12:58 PM

Along with the 'entertainment value" the copper is said to make the horse salivate more freely, which makes the bit more comfortable in the mouth.
I have found that to be true moreso of "sweet iron" bits, than copper bits. My horse seems more accepting of his sweet iron snaffle than his old copper/steel one. I also prefer a snaffle that has a bit of curve to it, rather than straight , like that one.
Can you tell us for what kind of riding you are using it, and something aobut your horse's background? that way we might suggest some ideas. I know that bit shopping can be addictive. We think we'l get some remarkable change with a new bit. Sometimes, one does get a very perceptable change. Sometimes you just waste money.

tinyliny 06-18-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentPromises (Post 1553866)
Thanks for your input! I've heard many different things about french links, so I'm a bit confused about them. How are they more gentle? Thanks so much! :-)

And wait a minute, they make bits that taste good? Genius! haha! However, I am on a budget, I don't want to spend any more than 20 dollars (including shipping) on a bit. Are the french link and 'tasty bits' pricey?

you get what you pay for. Twenty dollars will get you a twenty dollar bit, and that ain't all that good. Unless it's a used one that is of a better quality. I have got some great bits at tack sales, for $5 and were 50 dollare bits to begin with.

French link applies more pressure across the tongue in a an even arc, but can also drag down harder on the bars, so I've heard. double jointed snaffle does not have the point of the bit (when the two halves collape and form a sharp V in the mouth) risk of poking into the soft pallet of the horse

Golden Horse 06-18-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1553871)
We think we'l get some remarkable change with a new bit. Sometimes, one does get a very perceptable change. Sometimes you just waste money.

And sometimes we get a HUGE change, for the worse:wink:

kitten_Val 06-18-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentPromises (Post 1553866)

Yes, those bits made from copper, sweet iron, aurigon (spell?) have some taste to them unlike stainless steel. I have to say some horses still prefer the steel, but lots like the taste.

The 3 link snaffle won't hit the roof of the mouth (although tiny already explained it better than me :) ).

I used Albacon snaffle for sometime that is nice and on cheaper side (AlBaCon French Link Loose Ring Snaffle Bit | Dover Saddlery), but you can also look into Korsteel that makes nice bits that are on cheap side as well. And if you are on tight budget look for used ones too.

xxdanioo 06-18-2012 01:21 PM

Walter switched to this bit this weekend, from his rubber D. We wore it on his first trail ride, and seemed to really like it. I didn't notice him playing with it, but he was also enjoying the scenery I think.

SilentPromises 06-18-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1553874)
you get what you pay for. Twenty dollars will get you a twenty dollar bit, and that ain't all that good. Unless it's a used one that is of a better quality.

Yes, I'll be getting a used one. So far, I've done the majority of my tack shopping on eBay. I've gotten some pretty nice things for great prices. My money for tack is very limited, so I'm trying to get as nice as possible for as cheap as possible. My top choice for a bit right now is just a simple single jointed eggbutt snaffle from Korsteel. I've heard they're good--am I correct?

SilentPromises 06-18-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1553871)
]Can you tell us for what kind of riding you are using it, and something aobut your horse's background? that way we might suggest some ideas.

My horse was used prior to me getting him as a pleasure and companion horse. He was most commonly ridden bareback and with a bitless hackamore. He neck reins currently (and will ride with a rope around his neck which I think is just awesome!) however, he also used a traditional snaffle bit before and I was told that he accepts a bit and will be a great english horse again with some training. I hope he picks it right back up!

I do not show, or do anything fancy as of now. He is mostly just a companion that I hope to train while he trains me. We will be doing a lot of trail riding, basic pleasure riding/ring work, and likely jumping.

I was told that he responds great with just a basic snaffle, and that the less severe the bit, the better for him, hence the reason I'm putting so much thought into the bit--I want to make the transition from bitless to using a bit again as easy and comfortable as possible. :-)