The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   My horse jumpos high (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/my-horse-jumpos-high-12753/)

horses_r_life9 08-04-2008 06:24 PM

My horse jumpos high

When me and my horse go over jumps he takes them extremly high if it is a 2 ft jump we go 3. it dosn't bother me till we start to go over 4' jumps how can i get him to come down

PoptartShop 08-04-2008 06:40 PM

I think maybe you should try schooling him over the lower jumps & maybe some trot poles or crossrails for a little bit. ;) Or maybe he's just showing his ability that he can jump very high? :lol: I'm no expert though.

PS. I'm moving this to the Jumping forum. :)

horses_r_life9 08-04-2008 06:46 PM

thanxs i will try that

jazzyrider 08-05-2008 06:46 AM

like pop said go over the lower jumps for a while. often this can be a sign of an unconfident horse. maybe even try going back to trot poles for a while. i know its hard when youve been jumping 2-3' but if he gains confidence over smallers jumps he might jump better over the larger ones.

ooooor, thats just how he jumps :) dont worry though, by the time hes jumping 4' i doubt he will be jumping a foot higher than that very easily ;)

horses_r_life9 08-05-2008 08:48 AM

i do jump 4' jumps and we still go over really high

jazzyrider 08-05-2008 04:58 PM

ok, does he rush the fences? does he confidently head straight for the middle of the jump or do you have to use your legs to keep him heading right at the jump?

if not and he is confident with jumping then maybe thats just how he is ;) do you know if he has ever knocked his front legs pretty bad when jumping? maybe hes remembering something like that these days and is giving himself more room so he doesnt hit

FoxyRoxy1507 08-05-2008 05:34 PM

i'm sorry but mayb this is me but ur horse jumping really high over everything.. i dont see that as a problem, but mayb that's bc i'm a jumper/eventer and u want ur horse to be a hunter. my horse does the same thing and that's why i never have to worry about him touching a rail, but thats just my opinion.

upnover 08-05-2008 09:46 PM

generally overjumping is a sign of anxiety.

FoxyRoxy1507 08-05-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover
generally overjumping is a sign of anxiety.

generally but some horses just like to jump high over fences such as my gelding so it all depends on the horse.

brittx6x6 08-14-2008 02:03 PM

One of my mares does this also. We found that the more consistent she gets at a height the better she is with seeing the height. What we did was put a pole 1 stride before and after the fence to keep her from rushing. Then we did a nice canter in and slowly raised the fence letting her take each height a couple of times. Then once we reached 4' we took it back down to 2' so that she can feel the difference in how she was supposed to jump. Then we raised it to 3' and back down and so on. We do this 2times a month and it seems to work really well. I only show in childrens jumpers with her which is 3'6"-3'9" so she doesn't have to be consistent at 4'.