The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Fencing for a Stud Colt (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/fencing-stud-colt-127590/)

Kayella 06-18-2012 08:12 PM

Fencing for a Stud Colt

Evening, everyone! :)

So I'll be getting Henny in two months. I may keep him a stud if he's spectacular stud material and no boarding facility around here allows studs(shocker.) Anyways, we currently lease ten acres for our pasture puffs, so he will be joining them for now. I want to fence off his own area, about 1 acre for now until he gets bigger, and I need to find out what the best fencing for a stud would be. He'll be in the same pasture as a mare and possibly proud-cut gelding with only that fence separating them. Keep in mind the stud colt will only be four months old when I get him, so I don't really need hurricane proof fencing at the moment. IF, and only IF Henny is good enough to remain to a stud, will he be staying there. If halter judges/trainers/etc. decide he's not good enough to be a stud, then snip snip and out to a boarding place we go. Nothing is set in stone, I am not vehemently against gelding him, so I'd appreciate no criticism.

So in short, what kind of fencing would be best for a growing stud colt on such short term notice?

churumbeque 06-18-2012 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=Kayella;1554474]Evening, everyone! :)

So I'll be getting Henny in two months. I may keep him a stud if he's spectacular stud material and no boarding facility around here allows studs(shocker.) Anyways, we currently lease ten acres for our pasture puffs, so he will be joining them for now. I want to fence off his own area, about 1 acre for now until he gets bigger, and I need to find out what the best fencing for a stud would be. He'll be in the same pasture as a mare and possibly proud-cut gelding with only that fence separating them. Keep in mind the stud colt will only be four months old when I get him, so I don't really need hurricane proof fencing at the moment. IF, and only IF Henny is good enough to remain to a stud, will he be staying there. If halter judges/trainers/etc. decide he's not good enough to be a stud, then snip snip and out to a boarding place we go. Nothing is set in stone, I am not vehemently against gelding him, so I'd appreciate no criticism.

So in short, what kind of fencing would be best for a growing stud colt on such short term notice?[/QUOTE
at this age fencing could be many things but as he gets older I would not have ajoining fence lines to a mare. They will get through it. It is best if they can't see the mares after they have bred something.

Saddlebag 06-18-2012 10:08 PM

It's not fair to a 4 month old colt to isolate him from the others. You may find him hurting himself trying to get in with the others. A colt's worst fears are to be on the outside of the herd as in his mind he'll be someone's dinner. On the other hand, that gelding may try to kill him. Either way it's not right for the colt.

Kayella 06-18-2012 11:59 PM

Like I said, this was supposed to be about fencing. I want to ensure his safety with a suitable fence for his age and circumstances.

The two horses on the pasture right now are rescues. The gelding, who may or may not be proud cut, does not act aggressively to all males. Out of the three geldings he's been pastured with, he's only isolated one of them. There was no continuous physical aggression, he would simply chase him off from the other mares. There is a mini gelding in the neighbor's pasture right now, and Bubba actually loves him. As for the mare, she has never visibly shown heat in the seven years we've had both of them. He's never attempted mounting her or anything like that.

I would love to get him a pasture mate, be it a couple goats or a mini gelding. I don't want to completely isolate him, nor do I plan to. As I said, he might not even remain a stud. It's a very big IF that depends on many circumstances. But for right now, I want a safe and secure fencing for him so I know he will be as safe as possible.

GhostwindAppaloosa 06-19-2012 10:54 PM

I dont know what your current fencing looks like? what type is it? I would suggest at least a 16' lane between the current horses and your stud colt. this will keep most crazy stallions and geldings from trying to ram through fences to kill the other.

I have a stallion kept with my mares in a large turnout. We have a lane inbetween them and other fencing. He will pace the fenceline when other horses are turned out on the other side of the lane... but if we put a horse DIRECTLY next to his mares... its all hell broken loose. we have electric high tensile and a stallion will try to bust through it to get to them. the 16' + barrier keeps them from feeling like they are a threat.

A proud cut gelding most likely treats those mares like his "herd" he WILL see that colt as a threat and most likely will try to get to him. Put a lane between them so they can never touch noses.

I have had great luck with high tensile electrified. Electrobraid is similar and supposedly safer.. also pretty affordable to put in .

Kayella 06-19-2012 11:03 PM

Currently we have bard wire fencing. The two pasture puffs I have right now respect the fence, and it has done them no harm. However, my baby is going no where near barb wire fence, I worry for him too much. I was going to run some hot wire most definitely. That's what I am set on. As for the lane, I should be able to do that no problem. How we've mapped his area out, he should get 2.5-3 acres all to himself. And a couple goats for company, of course.

Darrin 06-19-2012 11:25 PM

He's young enough I wouldn't worry about him being a stud colt. A good electric fence will keep him in until he's older, even then if done right can still keep him in.

Kayella 06-19-2012 11:39 PM

I also have to worry about keeping stuff out of his enclosure. We've had people cut the fences before, try to steal our horses, and there's a couple coyotes out there. They haven't gone after the neighbor's mini or baby goats, but I just wanted to be sure he's safe.

MHFoundation Quarters 06-19-2012 11:55 PM

My stud lots have telephone pole posts (free perk of my hubby working with the utility guys when there is storm damage, DH splices mainline cable fiber) with 6 ft up and 4 ft buried & cemented. 5 ft high red brand horse fence and hot wire.

They haven't even thought about testing it. Having a pasture buddy helps if you have that option.

Kayella 06-20-2012 12:03 AM

That's actually what I've been planning to do is used that goat wire around and then a strand of hot wire. I won't be able to use the wooden posts, though, because we'll be rotating him throughout the ten acres so his fencing needs to be easily moveable.