The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Pivioting & Backing Up (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/pivioting-backing-up-127647/)

PaintGirl7 06-19-2012 10:32 AM

Pivioting & Backing Up

Hey y'all! I have a Paint horse mare that im currently training for showmanship. We've got pretty much everything else down besides pivioting. Does anyone have any tips to maybe help me get my mare to piviot?? And also, if i push on my mare, she'll back up, but i know at our fair, a lot of tugging and pushing and pulling is something you get docked for. So i also need my mare to learn to back up when i walk into her, not having to push on her.
This is quite stressful and any tips you may have are surely going to be helpful.
You can comment stories of how you got your horse to do either, or just tips.
Thank you all, greatly appriciated! :)

socks 06-19-2012 03:37 PM

when i first started working on showmanship with my horse he wouldn't pivot either and it would make me so mad because he would just move his pivot foot.. so i looked on here to figure out how to do it and it actually helped we are pivoting correctly... first just focus on getting your horse to cross its front feet correctly. start by turning his head the direction your want then tapping your horse on its shoulder and when your horse steps over correctly release all pressure. work on that till its good then ask for a couple more steps. eventually your horse will be able to cross over its front feet a whole 360 and eventually the back feet will come into place.. it also helps to apply a little pressure to go backwards so they are getting back on their haunches.. hope this helps. it takes a while(trust me) but they eventually get it!

Coffeejunkie 06-19-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socks (Post 1555730)
. it also helps to apply a little pressure to go backwards so they are getting back on their haunches..

Incorrect. The pivot is a forward motion. Also do not rely on moving your horses shoulder for a long time, you want the neck and body straight. Please get a trainer who can physically show you the correct movements and mechanics.

GoAppendix 06-19-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeejunkie (Post 1555843)
Incorrect. The pivot is a forward motion. Also do not rely on moving your horses shoulder for a long time, you want the neck and body straight. Please get a trainer who can physically show you the correct movements and mechanics.

Exactly. This is a forward motion. In the beginning, you want to focus on teaching the horse to cross the left front leg in front of the right front. A lesson with a trainer would benefit you greatly.

Saddlebag 06-19-2012 11:04 PM

If I ask my horse to rock back, he is now bearing more weight on the hindquarters and thus plants the off hind. He will pivot nice and straight, crossing over in front. I tried different ways but this is the one that works.

PaintGirl7 06-19-2012 11:09 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I'm sure these will all help. Although the thing is, for our fair, we had to have our horse out of a trainer by the 1st. So now everything's my responsiblity. I didn't know until my 4-H friend ran it by me. Im so stressed :/!

GoAppendix 06-19-2012 11:13 PM

You can't take lessons?

Coffeejunkie 06-19-2012 11:38 PM

When I was in 4h (this is not super recently LOL) we had to have horses out of full time training by x date, but could continue to take lessons. Horse could also not be rode by anyone other than the exhibitor unless it was posing a danger. You should be ok to take lessons? I can't see them implementing a rule that discourages learning, education, and ultimately better horsemanship.. That's kinda the goal?

If you're pivoting by rocking back as others have suggested, you'll be pivoting on the "incorrect" leg (left rear planted). Incorrect being a loose term, as it's not pre-defined as to which leg should be planted in most rule books. If your horse has been doing it for 15 years (at which point left was considered correct and rocking back was common), and he does it on that leg and that leg only then its not something to mess with. But, if you're starting fresh and going to spend the time to teach it, do it correctly (forward around the R hind).

Don't worry, you are already moons ahead of the kids whose horses are still in the field ;)

PaintGirl7 06-21-2012 02:45 PM

We can take lessons but my horse isnt a riding horse and I can't take lessons since she's not an ACTUAL riding horse. I'd have to get her trained. But if you mean showmanship lessons than I'd have to get an instructor or something.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoAppendix 06-21-2012 04:35 PM

Yes, showmanship lessons.