The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Vacation Ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/vacation-ideas-127653/)

farmpony84 06-19-2012 10:39 AM

Vacation Ideas

I know I keep doing this and I'm sorry I'm so indecisive! It's only one week of the year!

I think we are doing this vacation thing at the end of August. So now I think I have to take hurricane season into consideration, yes?

I keep leaning towards FL because it's easy and it's beach. If I do FL, I was thinking the gulf side. Stop by Clearwater Aquarium and then maybe go as far as Ft Meyers? My issue with FL is that we do it every year.

I want to drive wherever we go because I think it will save money. I like the idea of TN but having never been there, I don't know what we would do or where we would go?

I wouldn't mind GA or SC either.

Any thoughts? I'm open to great ideas. We want to stay on the east coast...

katbalu 06-19-2012 10:45 AM

Where would you want to go in tn? I mean, I understand you don't know where... Why are you interested in tn?
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 06-19-2012 10:49 AM

Why not go up north? No clue what's up there but I've heard it has a lot of history and some beaches (though not as warm as florida)

MHFoundation Quarters 06-19-2012 10:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
There's tons to do in TN. We do TN and FL almost yearly. Dan likes mountains more, I prefer the beach so we take turns.

I think you would like TN as much as you like the outdoors. Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg have tons of things to do and the National Park is right there. This last time we spent the majority of our time in the park hiking. We got to see the elk this time around, last year we didn't get out of bed early enough. We also went to Dollywood, as far as amusement parks go, it's clean and landscaped very well to fit in with the mountains. Morgan did the Junior Ranger program and got sworn in at the ranger station, she thought she was pretty big stuff.
Attachment 102970

Florida - we try to go to the least touristy areas and quietest beaches. We found a hidden gem there. We rented a house on one of the barrier islands, no cars, no bars, no nothing. Just beach and beach and more beach. We cruised the island on a golf cart, kayaked in the bay, lots of shell hunting, we also took the metal detector and combed the beach - we didn't get rich off our finds - beer caps and a few quarters.

Attachment 102972
Attachment 102971

farmpony84 06-19-2012 11:12 AM

I am thinking about that Sanibel Island in FL but I'm also thinking about Gaitlinburg. I don't know. Knowing my boys we'll end up in FL. I want to do mountains and hiking and canoeing... :(

Skyseternalangel 06-19-2012 11:27 AM

Then do mountains and hiking and canoeing!!

katbalu 06-19-2012 11:28 AM

There's always splash country, which is near dollywood :)
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 06-19-2012 11:45 AM

I'm looking at the TN tourism site and there is so much stuff and it is so huge that I don't even know where to start. I'm thinking hiking and canoeing/rafting, maybe some fishing... Can't you go mining for jewels or gold or something in TN? Are there ghost towns? How many amusement parks are there?

If I want to go there over FL, I really have to be able to sell it to the husband...

katbalu 06-19-2012 11:51 AM

Dollywood and splash country are the biggest amusement parks I believe. There's also an indoor water park that's kinda new around there too. The pigeon river is close to there as well. If you do go rafting, choose a smaller company. I feel like big companies on the pigeon river treat people cattle.
OR, you could go closer to Nashville...

katbalu 06-19-2012 11:54 AM

Where do you live?
Posted via Mobile Device