The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Barn Manager/ Horse Boarding Certificates or Education? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/barn-manager-horse-boarding-certificates-education-127668/)

OceanProspector 06-19-2012 01:21 PM

Barn Manager/ Horse Boarding Certificates or Education?

I am looking into the prospect of opening a boarding facility a bit later in my life and I was curious if there are any types of courses or certficates people like to see in the horse industry. Personally, I would feel more comfortable leaving my horse in the care of someone who has some Animal health knowledge so in the event of an emergency the proper care would be administered. Also I would think that some business courses would be benificial. Does anyone have any specific courses of certifications they would recomend?

RunSlideStop 06-19-2012 01:49 PM

Have you considered the several Equine Management/etc courses at University of Guelph? All online now, which is fantastic. My best friend is going on her 6th or 7th year now because they keep adding new programs. It is worth a shot; Guelph is one of the best places in Canada, and certainly Ontario, for equine studies.

Knowing the rigor of the courses, I would gladly choose a Guelph alumni over somewhere else/no background.

OceanProspector 06-19-2012 02:00 PM

I have looked at their website. They are definitely on my list of places to talk to about a little more indepthly, they have loads of really informative courses for sure. However, I'm curious if people actually place alot of weight on education in their decision making when it comes to equine services? Is it worth your money to complete these certificates? Because even though it is online the courses are still relatively pricey. Which is unfortunate :(