The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   And then there were two: I've gone crazy! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/then-there-were-two-ive-gone-127683/)

VACowgirl 06-19-2012 04:21 PM

And then there were two: I've gone crazy!

I was in the market for my very first horse after having been riding for a few years. I looked around and found quite a few "giveaways" that were rescue horses. One horse in particular, an 8-year old OTTB gelding was being given away. He had a remarkable racing career and then was a abused for 2 years. I went to see him yesterday and he's come a long way - he looks good, no big health problems despite an osselet and he was as goofy and kind as could be. I was sold.

There was just one small problem: He has a girlfriend. When I visited him, he was following this mare around and around. I was told he is very protective of her and checks her food, etc. It was cute. The owner was certainly business savvy and said she'd give me both of them for $600 plus free delivery. I mulled it over and accepted. I couldn't take her away from him since he'd already been through so much. The mare is healthy and has great breeding potential, if I ever wanted to go down that road.

I have the means to care for them both, but I went through the standard (OMG!!!) wakeup call after I'd slept on it. I'm about to care for two Thoroughbreds, my very first horses and I'm freaking out. I feel the same way I did when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, LOL!! They're going to be delivered to me on the 1st of July, so I have time to prepare.

What are some things I should definitely, absolutely have on hand for them to start?

Shropshirerosie 06-19-2012 04:36 PM

Okay, before I offer any advice - have you handed over the money?

longshot 06-19-2012 04:36 PM

somebody to ride with cuz yours come pre-loaded with buddy sour...lol not putting you down, I just did the same thing with two geldings. You will need to be ready to deal with this right off the bat though. then start your vet kit, these two animals will find every hazard on your place.. loose wire, lost nails, that long lost plowshare that lies just below the surface of the ground right in their new favorite pawing place. how horses injure themselves is a never ending source of amazement to me. You might succeed in childproofing your home, but you will never horseproof your barn... CONGRATULATIONS!! the last thing you need is a place to sit and tall cool drink to watch your new money pits settle into their new digs..

Tianimalz 06-19-2012 04:38 PM

I don't think it'll be too cute for long :P A buddy sour TB is never much fun to deal with, trust me I know. :lol:

VACowgirl 06-19-2012 04:44 PM

I'm not worried about it. I tend to accept challenges. I was looking for advice on what to start them with, not a slap on the wrist. I took two rescues who needed a home because no one else will give them a chance. Money pits? I'd say they're more likely to enrich my life. And that...is priceless.

VACowgirl 06-19-2012 04:46 PM

On that note, I grew up on a farm that trains racing OTTBs, so I'm very familiar with their particular needs and what I'm in for. This is hardly a supportive forum, sheesh...

Lins 06-19-2012 04:48 PM

Congrats!!! The most important things to have ready are a fully stocked vet kit, halters.. A lot depends on if you are boarding them or keeping them at your own place.
Posted via Mobile Device

VACowgirl 06-19-2012 04:49 PM

Thank you for the kind words :) They'll be staying at my place. I live on 4 acres. I'm very excited and ready for the challenge!

longshot 06-19-2012 04:51 PM

That was supportive.. *shrugs* I tried.. party on VA

Sharpie 06-19-2012 04:51 PM

I call my boy a money pit, in only the most loving way, of course. Because with very few exceptions, horses are a hole you throw your money into, never to be seen from again. IMO, the rewards are well worth it, but they're still expensive. :)

I look forward to pictures after they arrive! I'd make sure to have the vet kit and a few weeks' hay and other feed stocked up before they come home.