The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   Dewormer amount (

katbalu 06-19-2012 05:50 PM

Dewormer amount
This is probably a silly question :). My horse is 782lbs. What happens if I give him the full amount of paste from the tube? Say for a 1200lb horse?
Posted via Mobile Device

goneriding 06-19-2012 05:55 PM

Nothing, but if you feel better about giving a more accurate amount then do that. To me it is beyond the "iffy" weight so to speak.

PaintHorseMares 06-19-2012 05:56 PM

Nothing. It takes a lot more than that to get anywhere near an overdose. Our mares are all in the 900+ to 1100 lbs range and we always use the whole tube.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 06-19-2012 06:20 PM

I was under the impression that certain types of dewormer were more dangerous in regard to overdosing?

Nitefeatherz 06-19-2012 06:59 PM

Dewormers are not all the same. Whether it is safe or not would depend largely on what particular dewormer is and how much you are giving.

"Dewormer" is a very large category. Before I went saying "oh its fine" potentially risking my horse harm- I would find out WHICH dewormer it is, what the main active ingredient is as the dewormer, and go from there.

natisha 06-19-2012 07:02 PM


Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 1556057)
I was under the impression that certain types of dewormer were more dangerous in regard to overdosing?

Yes, Quest is one that should be accurately weight dosed.

PaintHorseMares 06-19-2012 08:44 PM

This is the info I found...

Moxidectin has been the subject of controversy and for good reason. It is the only horse wormer that is capable of killing the above larvae in a single dose, which is a very impressive feat. CAUTION: Its liability is that the overdose tolerance threshold is far less than other wormers; 5 times the standard dose can cause significant damage to your horse. Whereas it may be difficult to give an adult horse an overdose 5 times the standard dose, it's extremely easy to make this mistake when worming a foal. As such, at no time would I recommend using this wormer on foals or weakened horses.
The most popular Moxidectin-based wormer is Quest.

Endiku 06-19-2012 09:13 PM

Only a few different wormers are dangerous to overdose with. Most others have either a x10 health warning rate, meaning that you'd have to severely overdose for anything to happen. I'd read the warning labels on the tube and look the brand up if I were you. We use Safeguard and it actually has a reading on the tube that says what a safe amount to use is, when you should contact a vet, and symptoms of overdose on it.

I'd really only be worried if you have a wormer with Moxidectin or a Mixidectin derivitive/compound in it, but its good to check just in case.

katbalu 06-19-2012 10:30 PM

I used strongoid paste (pyrantel) this time. I usually hand my wormer to someone standing next to me to administer :) but wanted to do it myself this time. I wasn't so confident in my aiming/handling abilities, and I wanted to make sure if I got too much in there it wasnt the worst thing in the world. Apparently gorilla didnt care one bit, and didnt move when I stuck it in the corner of his mouth and shot it in. I got 900lbs in. Thank you guys for the replies, i'm glad im more informed now!

katbalu 06-19-2012 10:36 PM

I've heard zimectrin gold is one to be careful with too (not that one shouldn't be careful with all of them...), so is the 'ivermectin' category generally more dangerous than the others? Quest is ivermectin, right?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome