The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   I need advice on what I should do:Horse or Car? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/i-need-advice-what-i-should-12772/)

americancowgurl31391 08-04-2008 11:13 PM

I need advice on what I should do:Horse or Car?

So me and my mom were going back and forth arguing about how expensive Dude is. We pay $205 for board each month, plus his shoes are $110 every 7-8 weeks and then a couple vet bills here and there. Dude is my life. I couldn't imagine life without him. I think i would be depressed and lost without him. And especially not knowing where he is or whats going on with him. If he were to get hurt I couldnt live with myself cause I would regret it. My mom said I should sell Dude so I can get money to buy a car. I really want a car. I'm 17 so i cannot afford a car, gas, insurance, horse board, horse shoes, and the vet. And leasing wouldn't get me any extra cash cause it would just be paying his board and shoes. I know most of you are going to say how could you get rid of your horse, but I also need a car as ill be on my own next June. What should I do? Thanks in advance. Be honest!!

PoptartShop 08-04-2008 11:17 PM

Hmm, this is a tough decision for you. :(
If having a car may be better for you (financially & in general, since you'll be on your own) then I think you should maybe sell him? It's a hard choice to make. I'm trying to think of other alternatives, but my mind's in a blank right now, ehh. Think it through, & I know you'll make the right chice! :D

americancowgurl31391 08-04-2008 11:20 PM

Thanks so much. Ive had Dude for 6 years and hes my life, my inspiration, my everything. The thing is I told my mom i really wanted/needed a car so i can go see my horse. But i can only have one. Anymore advice?

Pinto Pony 08-05-2008 03:42 AM

If the issue is finances right now, ie in 6 months to a year you could afford both just not now, why not find a suitable person to free lease him to. ie they don't pay you anything but pay for his board, feed and shoes instead. That way you will still own him and when you can afford to have him again you can.

We used to free lease a mare while we where in between horses for my sister. It was great for us because we had time to look for a horse for my sister but in the mean time she had a pony club mount that was decent enough. And the owner was sort of in a similar situation, she couldn't afford the mare at the time but didn't want to sell her so it was a great temporary solution for both of us!

On our lease contract we payed for feed, shoes, (she was kept at our property so no board) and we also payed incase of emergency vet due to injury while in our care. But excluded was her worming, shots or vet for disease/injury due to no fault on our behalf ie something genetic or pre-exisiting.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you, there is something to consider...

jazzyrider 08-05-2008 06:12 AM

i completely agree ^^^ free leasing him out means you still get to keep your horsey but for now someone else will take on the burden of paying for him. you can then have a clause where you allowed to go and see him and have a ride at times.

if you can get away with i wouldnt sell him. but if you have to you have to. how big is the town you live in? can you get to your horse by using public transport? can you find somewhere closer to keep your horse? i know a girl who put a letter in the mail box of everyone who had a house with a large amount of land. in the letter she said she was looking for somewhere to keep her horse and would be happy to financially compensate. someone called her back and said she could use their 20 acre paddock for $10 a week. lets face it, you can save yourself a bunch of money by not paying to have other people look after your horse.

maybe you can come up with some other money saving idea :D where theres a will theres a way ;)

farmpony84 08-05-2008 09:22 AM

i bought a horse... my dad ended up buying me a car for $1700... i dont regret it... i drove a crappy car w/ no a/c for several years... but you know... it's all about choices... you can get a pretty reliable used pick up for 1500....

DashAwayAll 08-05-2008 10:41 AM

I am editing my post after some thought.

My question is, "out on my own?" Does that mean graduating high school? So you have to get out of your parents house, or you are allowed to go? Do you have a job? or do you need a car to get a job? Can you start work now so that you have $$ for wheels next year? Your first car should not be a wonderful cool lookit me car. it needs to be safe and not suck up your wallet in fuel. You could always donate him/free lease him to a therapeutic riding center for four years and join the military - get some excellent job training, and then get your horse back after the four years is up.
I would never blast someone for selling their horse. ( Unless it was because a SO didn't like the horse. Then feel my fury!) You have to do what is best for you AND the horse. Horses are expensive to maintain and it's getting worse minute by minute.

americancowgurl31391 08-05-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DashAwayAll
I am editing my post after some thought.

My question is, "out on my own?" Does that mean graduating high school? So you have to get out of your parents house, or you are allowed to go? Do you have a job? or do you need a car to get a job? Can you start work now so that you have $$ for wheels next year? Your first car should not be a wonderful cool lookit me car. it needs to be safe and not suck up your wallet in fuel. You could always donate him/free lease him to a therapeutic riding center for four years and join the military - get some excellent job training, and then get your horse back after the four years is up.
I would never blast someone for selling their horse. ( Unless it was because a SO didn't like the horse. Then feel my fury!) You have to do what is best for you AND the horse. Horses are expensive to maintain and it's getting worse minute by minute.

"Out on my own" meaning this is my last year in high school and then I will be moving out. I dont get along with my family very well. I have a jib right now but im only working for like 5 hours a week right now...its rediculous. I need a car for school and my job and i wanted a car to go see my horse. See my mom pays for dudes board right now and i pay for vet and farrier and anything extra. But as of with in the next few months, i have to pay for anything that i may want or need. See the leasing thing i would love because most leasees cant come out everyday so i could still go see him and ride him. But leasing wouldnt save me any money just my mom. So i dont know what to do.
Thanks for the helpful ideas everyone.

lovemyponies 08-05-2008 12:25 PM

wow your board is very reasonable! If you lease him out maybe your mom will put that money she is spending into savings for you to buy a car. (maybe not but you might want to sit down and discuss all the options with her) At your age I think having a horse is so good for you and he is "your life" I am afraid you might end up filling up your spare time with something not nearly as positive and healthy. (I don't know you but I have a 17 year old that rides at my barn and she even admits having a horse instead of a car keeps her out of trouble) Moving out at 18 and going on your own is going to be tough regardless, so good luck and make sure its what you really have to do. See if you can get another job with more hours. I worked 20-25 hours a week while in school and did just fine and I bet you can do. Save all you can and keep your eye out for a cheap car.

Just some thoughts.
good luck :D :D

hotreddun 08-05-2008 12:33 PM

get a scooter...I have a Yamaha Vino 125...only cost $2500 and my gas bill is $5 a week...thats going about 100 miles a week commute :D Full coverage insurance is only $250 a year on the scooter.