The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sick horse-Fever-Unknown origin... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sick-horse-fever-unknown-origin-127752/)

Julirs 06-20-2012 03:48 AM

Sick horse-Fever-Unknown origin...

My 13 year old Paint started running a fever 8 days ago. The only symptoms are the fever, lethargy, and reduced appetite. He is still eating, mostly hay, and is mostly uninterested in his grain. The Vet came out last Tuesday and put him on one antibiotic, and then Monday, took him off that one and put him on 3 more. Lungs are clear, and blood work came back normal white blood cells and only slightly low red blood cell count. No coughing, no nasal discharge. He is sound, no bites or wounds anywhere, and my Vet is baffled. There is a virus going around the barns in the area with the same symptoms but it was only lasting 4 to 5 days. Fever has been as high as 104, but is usually around 102, but seems to be lower in the evenings. Sunday he did not have much of a fever and was not on bute or banamine. Treating with those only when fever goes up. Any ideas? Could it just be the virus taking a little longer than average? If it is bacterial, where is it coming from. Thursday will make it 72 hours for the new antibiotics, and if he is still running the fever I will transport him to the equine clinic for further testing. I am worried sick. Also-9 other horses in the barn, he is turned out usually with the gelding herd, and no one else is sick.

Julirs 06-20-2012 04:00 AM

I forgot to mention that 4 days in he developed eye infection in both eyes, being treated with antibiotic ointment.

Julirs 06-20-2012 07:22 AM

Update-fever is down this morning, first morning it has been down. 100.7. It seems the antibiotics are working. Not out of the woods yet.

natisha 06-20-2012 08:29 AM

I hope he continues to improve.

clippity clop 06-20-2012 10:36 AM

Is there any possibility he could have Potomac Horse Fever? First sign is decrease in appetite and fever can be as high as 106. Different horses react differently though. I'd definitely have my vet check everything. Good luck!

Julirs 06-20-2012 09:49 PM

Vet is not sure what he has. However, temp has continued to decrease all day. He was 99.2 when I left the barn tonight, and happily munching his hay. Eyes look better too!

Spirit Lifter 06-20-2012 09:52 PM

I'm glad a come back is nearing. Weird......

CLaPorte432 06-20-2012 09:55 PM

Well, I had a similar situations a couple of years ago. Mid-February (winter here), fever of unknown origin, weight loss, still had an appetite...hay and grain. Drinking well. Vet started my mare on a round of antibiotics to be safe and drew blood. Came back she had a bacterial infection. Where it came from, we have absolutely NO idea. None of the other horses got sick. She never left our property, UTD on all vaccinations. It was just one of those things. She made a full recover from that though after 10 days of penicillin.

Breella 06-20-2012 10:08 PM

Are there cases of west nile in your area? have the vets checked for that?

Julirs 06-20-2012 10:16 PM

We are in Florida where every nasty disease seems to live so yes, he checked for all of those things. I fear this one will remain a mystery. None of the other 9 horses are sick.