The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Annoying horse hogging the gate (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/annoying-horse-hogging-gate-127765/)

HagonNag 06-20-2012 11:03 AM

Annoying horse hogging the gate

We keep our horses at a friend's farm and we have for many years. They share a 13 acre field and four stall barn with one other horse, who also belongs to a friend of the owner. (The owner has 17, so 3 more is hardly a burden...and we pay board.)

The pasture opens directly into a small paddock that contains the barn. My problem comes when I'm trying to get one or both of our horses out of the pasture. Our OTTB is the boss horse. He's always first in line so getting him in is no problem. My horse is the bottom...so the other horse is always directly in front of him. AND WON'T MOVE. He wants to come too. Now, normally, I'd just push him away...but this horse has been known to swerve around and kick out... The gate is set into a corner, so there's only one way to move him. I KNOW what I'd do if he were mine, but he isn't. My horse is reluctant to walk past him.... or get near him.

We face the same problem in reverse when we put our horses out. He's right there at the gate and I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. We have NEVER encouraged this horse with treats, scratches, or anything else. We hardly ever see the other owner as we have different schedules and she has another horse whe spends more time with.

What to do? He WILL be in this pasture with ours. Moving him isn't an option. This isn't a major problem but it is an annoyance. I've never been kicked and I want to keep it that way.

DancingArabian 06-20-2012 11:24 AM

Get a long whip - a lunge whip if youre scared hell kick you- and chase him away. He isn't respecting YOU. Doesn't matter that he's not your horse. He's posing a threat to your safety by crowding you and blocking your path.

Sorry for the typos...yay iPhone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 06-20-2012 11:39 AM

I agree with DA. Doesn't matter if this isn't your horse, he's obviously a danger to you and not respecting your authority.

Since you're the one having to deal with him, you need to keep yourself as safe as possible.

When I boarded, I had NO problems taking a whip with me if there were rude, disrespectful horses in the paddock with mine.

HagonNag 06-20-2012 11:49 AM

Thank you both! I'm a little hesitant to mess with someone else's horse and this guy can be a pain to catch and halter so I'm extra hesitant to possibly add to the owner's problems. I have a lunge whip and I know how to use it! I just wasn't really sure I should! LOL

Critter sitter 06-20-2012 11:49 AM

Totally agree with both above.. and maybe just let the BO know what is going on just so they know you have a issue and you are addressing it. good luck

Critter sitter 06-20-2012 11:51 AM

I think you may be doing the owner a favor not hendering..

Speed Racer 06-20-2012 11:52 AM

Very true, Critter. Somebody needs to teach this horse some manners, and it looks like it's going to have to be HON.

Critter sitter 06-20-2012 11:58 AM

My Mare is one to test your authority when ever she can.. I always carry a carrot stick with me to inforce that I am alpha not her and my Daughter also does this.. she has learned to respect us. I am sure your Gate Hog will learn your boss in no time as long as you are firm with him

LetAGrlShowU 06-20-2012 12:27 PM

I had the same issue when the pasture i share had a 3rd horse in it. He was very pushy and had no manners. I didnt need a whio, i took the end of a lead rope and swung it in circles until he backed up. If he didnt, he got smacked with it, if that didnt work, i kinda ran athim with it to make him back up.

The owners never said anything, but had they I would have given them a lesson on horse manners 101

Ian McDonald 06-20-2012 12:52 PM

A long whip is good advice. If you tie a plastic grocery bag to the end of it, it becomes even more effective. Just make sure to tear the bottom out or you'll be swinging a parachute lol. If you can be effective at creating a bubble around yourself and your horse and give that other one plenty of warning that you're coming and you're taking that space you shouldn't have to actually hit or chase him. He'll move. Just want to be careful that you don't chase your own horse away with that bag on a stick! :P