The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   First Barrel (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/first-barrel-127849/)

Kdobbert 06-20-2012 10:35 PM

First Barrel

My horse and i barrel race. i have a buetiful second and third barrel, but my horse has a hard time flexing around the first one. which means he runs by it. i need help because im losing seconds there..... help!!!!:-|

TristaJean 06-20-2012 10:38 PM

Basically you need to go back to a walk until he turns that first barrel perfectly. Then do it at the trot until he does it perfectly, and so on until you're able to do it at full speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 06-20-2012 11:22 PM

Do you have any videos of you running your horse? It would be easier for us to help you since it could be a multitude of things and would help if we could see the horse work.

MangoRoX87 06-21-2012 10:54 AM

Perhaps your not giving him a big enough pocket or not slowing him down soon enough?
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 06-21-2012 12:59 PM

Maybe your horse has some sort of physical limitation that inhibits his turning ability in that direction. Id have him checked by a chiropractor or vet to make sure he doesnt have any problems. Chiropractors are great at finding little things that mean a big deal to your horse.

Bending/flexing exercises could benefit him too. Just like some people, some horses just are not flexible and need muscle strengthing and stretching to loosen up and perform at their best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kdobbert 06-21-2012 11:29 PM

Thanks

DrumRunner 06-22-2012 12:03 AM

I'm another vote for possibly seeing a video before saying much. There can be any number of things wrong.. It could be the horse or the rider.. It just depends.

Kdobbert 06-24-2012 08:59 PM

I gave him more of a pocket rather than just going straight at it. Worked greatt. Had a great run