The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   not riding much but can't part with horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/not-riding-much-but-cant-part-12787/)

Ravenmoon 08-05-2008 09:44 AM

not riding much but can't part with horse

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this is overly long. I got my mare 7 years ago, and she was rather young (3 yrs old) so it probably wasn't a smart idea on my part but we knew the trainer personally, so my parents and I figured all would be well and she didn't spook or anything when I rode her the first few times. After we brought her home, she became very easily spooked at little things (leaves, etc) and I fell off several times. Nothing major, no broken bones, just sprains and a mild concussion but over time, my confidence became very shaken and I rode less and less. Now, 7 years later, I'm in college and therefore not home most of the time. She's still very well taken care of my and my parents have grown attached to her but do not ride. When I am home for summer, I work full time and dance. As a result, she has become a very pampered pet really. Over the years, she has calmed a lot and has excellent ground manners, and I love just spending time with her. I miss riding, but I still have a confience issue when it comes to riding her. At the same time, I feel guiltly though for not riding her and plan to take some lessons with a trainer that will hopefully help us both, but I would have to wait until I graduate from college (which is another 3 years before I can afford that). I don't want to sell her either, because I am attached and it would be like loosing my own child. Is anybody else facing something similar or have any suggestions?

moomoo 08-05-2008 09:52 AM

You could loan her, then she is still yours but someone could ride her :)

DashAwayAll 08-05-2008 10:59 AM

My mare is nuthin' more than a pasture pet. there is nothing wrong with that.

VAHorseGurl 08-05-2008 11:35 AM

What about offering her to a trainer you know on a lease, allow them to retrain her and use her for lessons?

And when you are able to, begin taking lessons on her and build your confidence?

Good luck

~Kerri & Pete

lovemyponies 08-05-2008 12:10 PM

RavenMoon, I really think a healthy young horse should be ridden if possible. I would bet if you go to a local barn/tack store/feed store and post a notice for an experienced rider to come to your place and exercise/train her you might be able to find a match.

At my barn 80% of the boarders either don't have enough time to ride or feel its too hot, or buggy or something. So they all offer me their horses to ride so they get exercised. I don't have a horse anymore (well I do right now temporarily) and this way I can ride for free and their horses get exercise.

If you did it this way your horse would get some "training" and exercise and she would still be on property so when you are home you get to see her. Just a thought. Of course make sure you get them to sign a release so if they do get hurt you are not in any legal trouble.

Ravenmoon 08-05-2008 12:10 PM

Yeah, leasing is a thought, the problem being with that is the one trainer I know is quite a distance away because she moved and I don't believe she actually gives lessons. She just trains/farrier. And leasing to her to some random person that I don't know makes a bit nervous because a horse isn't like a car where if it's wrecked you just get a new one.

lovemyponies 08-05-2008 12:14 PM

I think the idea of having someone come to your place to ride might work, then you know she is being properly cared for. I would ask around, farrier, vet, trainers, etc, if they know of a strong rider who needs a mount. I don't know where you live but usually there are a few good riders who just don't have the money or inclination to have their own horse but still want to ride. No they probably aren't going to be professional trainer, but sounds like your horse would be okay if she has rider with confidence and good basic riding skills.

lovemyponies 08-05-2008 12:15 PM

I think the idea of having someone come to your place to ride might work, then you know she is being properly cared for. I would ask around, farrier, vet, trainers, etc, if they know of a strong rider who needs a mount. I don't know where you live but usually there are a few good riders who just don't have the money or inclination to have their own horse but still want to ride. No they probably aren't going to be professional trainer, but sounds like your horse would be okay if she has rider with confidence and good basic riding skills.

Ravenmoon 08-05-2008 12:43 PM

That's another good idea lovemyponies. I might have to look into that.