The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Should I quit, need advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/should-i-quit-need-advice-127887/)

SRich 06-21-2012 08:42 AM

Should I quit, need advice?

I started a part time job as cashier at a local waterpark. My hours suck and most of my pay is going towards gas, because it's a 1 hour round trip. I got the job because my uncle, who has been working there for years, pretty much guaranteed a set schedule. I've only worked there for two days and I'm already debating whether I should look around for something else. My problem is that I would love to find something more local and better paying that hopefully will last longer than summer. I know that I won't make much money being an unexperienced 18 year old, but I think I can do better. When I started the job I feel that I made a commitment to work there until September(when it closes), which I don't want to break. I'm also worried that it will cause issues because of my uncle. On the other hand, I'm only trying to do my best and it's not working out. Should I apply to closer jobs and see if I can get anything closer?

Skyseternalangel 06-21-2012 08:46 AM

Yes.

Here's why. You don't like the job (I'd give it a little more time though) and the majority of your money is going to gas. You need this experience though to gain access to other jobs. September is a long time. Perhaps stay for a month and if things don't improve, talk to the manager and let him know why it's not working.

Always be on the lookout for new opportunities. That is the only way to really find one that works for you.

As long as you wait it out (I think at least a month) and give your 2 weeks notice, then they should be fully equipped to find another person to replace you.

SRich 06-21-2012 08:54 AM

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I looked in the paper and I see a job that I think I should apply for. I wouldn't want to miss the chance for this job if I give the waterpark another month like you suggested.

Skyseternalangel 06-21-2012 08:58 AM

That's what I love about advice, you don't have to take it :)

If you want to go for it, go for it! No one's stopping you.

SRich 06-21-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1558734)
That's what I love about advice, you don't have to take it :)

If you want to go for it, go for it! No one's stopping you.

I know and thanks a lot for the advice. I just don't know what I should do. :-)

Skyseternalangel 06-21-2012 09:06 AM

Well if I were in your shoes, I would investigate it. Apply, wait awhile, interview (always good practice) and if they offer it to you you can either take it or leave it. You also can provide the date on which you can begin.

Oh you're welcome haha

dbarabians 06-21-2012 09:19 AM

SRich you are trying to build a work history.
Working at a place for a very short time will do your resume no good.
You owe that employer at least a 2 week notice especially since your Uncle got you the job.
Your 18 and how you handle this is important so that you learn how to deal with employers for the rest of your life.
I would talk it over with your boss and give it more than 2 days to adjust.
That other job may sound good on paper but how do you know it is.
There are thousands of unemployed teenagers out there.
Getting a job is not that easy these days.
About the distance and the pay you were probably aware of that before you took the job.
I do not mean to be harsh by saying that.
You made a decision to accept the job now you are disappointed. Thats acceptable.
How you deal with the disapointment though is very important.
Good luck. Shalom

SRich 06-21-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 1558754)
SRich you are trying to build a work history.
Working at a place for a very short time will do your resume no good.
You owe that employer at least a 2 week notice especially since your Uncle got you the job.
Your 18 and how you handle this is important so that you learn how to deal with employers for the rest of your life.
I would talk it over with your boss and give it more than 2 days to adjust.
That other job may sound good on paper but how do you know it is.
There are thousands of unemployed teenagers out there.
Getting a job is not that easy these days.
About the distance and the pay you were probably aware of that before you took the job.
I do not mean to be harsh by saying that.
You made a decision to accept the job now you are disappointed. Thats acceptable.
How you deal with the disapointment though is very important.
Good luck. Shalom

Yes I knew about the distance and pay of the job before I took the job, but the only reason I took it was because I was afraid I wouldn't find anything else and I felt pressured by my uncle. It looks like I'm just going to stick with it and see what Fall brings me when I have to do another job search. Thanks for your advice. :-)

dbarabians 06-21-2012 04:42 PM

Srich if you can find a better paying job, and/or one with employment past the summer, you will be justified in changing jobs.
It is how you leave and why that is the important part.
Focus on your longterm employment possibilities and history.
Goodluck Shalom