The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Horse shipping/transport companies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/horse-shipping-transport-companies-127908/)

crimsonsky 06-21-2012 12:11 PM

Horse shipping/transport companies

i'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread so...

i will be moving from Reno to Portland in the coming months and i'm hoping someone can give me some referrals for shipping companies or perhaps tell me about your experiences shipping horses. what do you need to do to prepare for this? how much did you pay (if you feel comfortable sharing)? anything else you can think of would be fantastic.

thanks much! :D

cmarie 06-21-2012 02:32 PM

I've used these people, to move a horse from Wendover to my home near Dayton, they were reasonable and very nice, the mans name is Craig they are out of Cottonwood CA.
Horse & Livestock Transportation

cmarie 06-21-2012 02:51 PM

Since your going out of state you will need a brand inspection and a current coggins test, the test takes at least a week to get back here, so give yourself time to get it. Check with Oregon Dept of Ag to see if they have any other requirements they may need a health certificate which you can get at the time you get the coggins done.

Darrin 06-21-2012 03:12 PM

Professional hauler will be up on everything that is needed so have that conversation with them when you hire. You'll definately need a coggins/brand inspection prior to hauling.

Once you get to Oregon I assume you'll be stabling in Portland. Most of the stables here want to see some kind of proof you are up on all your shots so you'll want to get that info from your vet before leaving NV. Don't forget to be up on your wormer too.

crimsonsky 06-21-2012 03:15 PM

i have some time at least so that's good. i won't be moving the first horse until august i would expect. i'll take a look at that shipping company - thank you! :)

crimsonsky 06-22-2012 04:03 PM

bumity bump. has anyone used these shippers: Nation-Wide Horse Transportation, Inc: Equine Hauling

cmarie 06-22-2012 11:29 PM

I have use them to move a stud from Montana to Nevada, they were very good, the only problem with them is they need a place to be able to pull in a semi, they do keep a tight schedule.

crimsonsky 06-25-2012 05:46 PM

so far they are the best cost estimate with the most offerings (nice trucks, etc.). thanks again!

CecilliaB 07-23-2012 07:08 AM

I used Nation Wide when shipping Aidan from CA to SC. They did a great job and I would use them again.

crimsonsky 07-23-2012 12:11 PM

thank you CecilliaB :D