The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Letting others ride your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/letting-others-ride-your-horse-127911/)

heymckate 06-21-2012 12:30 PM

Letting others ride your horse?

I have a question. I've never run into this issue before, so I was wondering if it's common and I've just never seen it happen for whatever reason, or if it is in fact something unusual.

Apparently, my BO is fine with family members riding your horse. However, anyone else is not allowed to ride your horse, even if you're present and they sign the waiver. So, for example, my mother or husband could ride my horse, but a friend cannot. Even another person boarding at that barn is not allowed.

This isn't a huge issue for me at the moment as I don't want anyone else riding my horse until he's had a bit more training and experience. However, at some point this will become a problem, particularly because I would like a girl I know to show him in youth hunter and eq classes eventually. And clearly she will need to ride him for that to happen.

So have you seen this before? I'm just curious. I totally understand not letting others ride your horse if you're not present--in fact, if this happened I would be furious. But if I'm there and proper waivers are signed... I don't see the issue.

Speed Racer 06-21-2012 12:37 PM

The BO's protecting herself and her assets. Even if a waiver is signed, an outside party can (and has been known to) sue a barn owner for negligence even when it's the rider's own stupidity that got them hurt.

The person is less likely to sue if they're directly related to you, like a husband, sister, or mother.

The only thing you can do is either convince the BO to let you have an exception, or switch barns. Her barn, her rules.

verona1016 06-21-2012 06:57 PM

I haven't run across this at any barn I've been to, but I haven't gone riding other people's horses at other barns very often either.

I understand the BO is trying to limit her liability, and if you live in one of those states that doesn't have strong equine liability laws then I can understand even more. However, it can seriously hurt a boarding business to have such rigid rules, and that's one of those reasons why businesses have liability insurance! I'd expect that she'd be doing her "due diligence" as far as the insurance company is concerned in getting a waiver signed, but who knows... maybe she's been bitten by this in the past?

TrojanCowgirl 06-23-2012 03:28 PM

I've never had that problem but I'd like to hear more about it!

I was always allowed to ride other's horses. As long as I called and they said it was ok, the BO was fine with it.

mangomelon 06-24-2012 08:12 PM

At my barn as long as the person signs the waiver and has my permission to ride, anyone is allowed to ride your horse. I don't know what I think about that situation. On one hand, it's your horse but on the other, it's her barn. I guess you could talk to her about an exception for this girl especially if she's going to ride your horse on a regular basis and/or show him.
Posted via Mobile Device

eclipseranch 06-24-2012 08:43 PM

1 BO I boarded with was furious & yelled at me for bringing in a professional trainer to ride my horse..her so called rule was not in the contract & needless to say I moved my horses within 1 week of her being in my face!

heymckate 06-25-2012 03:17 PM

I used to be at a barn where the BO didn't want other trainers coming in to work on your horse--if you wanted someone else to train it, you had to take it off-property. I understood that since she was also operating a training business out of her barn, though personally I thought she was a terrible trainer. But aside from that, anyone could ride your horse as long as you gave permission.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never seen what's going on at my current barn. I do understand her wanting to protect herself and her property--that makes sense. But still... my horse. I haven't approached her about this, but if I do I will update you all. It only came to my attention when someone else approached BO to ask about me riding their horse while they were out of town, and the reply was absolutely not, that no one but family could ride. And this wasn't in the boarding agreement either... which is strange to me.

verona1016 06-25-2012 06:44 PM

I have heard of barns with rules against bringing in outside trainers- it's not just a competition thing, but an insurance thing. My barn allows outside trainers, but they have to prove they have insurance and name the barn as a co-insured(?) before they can do anything for money on their property.

Nicole 06-26-2012 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, your BO can make any rules she wants at her barn. I think it's a little extreme, though. If anything, you should be the one more worried in the event of a lawsuit if you do not have personal liability coverage in the event that your horse injures the third party. I would think that as long as the barn has liability insurance, they would be covered for any third party injuries regardless of whose horse "committed the crime." Then again, I'm no expert in equine insurance.

Chardavej 07-01-2012 07:50 AM

From a BO perspective I have the same rule, although mine extends to family too.

I have liability insurance and I have everyone sign waivers. But waivers aren't worth the paper they are written on. It might stop someone from winning, but it wont stop them from SUEING you, which can costs you tens of thousands of dollars in attorneys fees and lost revenue.

Not a chance I am willing at all to take so someone's friend can go for a little horse ride.

I also don't let people selling their horse while on the property, they must trailer their horse offsite to a public park to show them.

I have this all upfront in my boarding contract, and I also stress it to people looking to board before they board. I will give them a copy of the board contract while they are visiting and they can take it home to review it.

I'm not a tirant, and all the boarders are happy and love it here, and the horses are calm, friendly and happy also (they also often tease me that this is probably one of the few boarding barns where boarders complain about horses being fed a lot. Not in a mean way.