The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   RIP Baby Karma, please keep momma in your thoughts (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/rip-baby-karma-please-keep-momma-127915/)

Rachel1786 06-21-2012 01:15 PM

RIP Baby Karma, please keep momma in your thoughts

The TB at my friends barn was 355 days along and everyone was excited and waiting for the birth. Unfortunately the filly was still born. I wasn't there for any of this so some details may be missing but apparently the filly was half way out and momma rolled and got herself cast, then got herself up and somehow stepped on the placenta and prolapsed her uterus, I guess maybe she had the filly before she rolled or after when she stood up, I'm not quite sure. Whatever happened she had to be trailered down to the big vet hospital but she lost so much blood they weren't able to do surgery yet. As of right now mom only has a 20% survival rate :-( I was just there the other night to see her and now she is barley hanging on :cry:. Everything please keep this beautiful TB in your thoughts, prays or whatever. Loosing a baby is hard enough, lets hope she doesn't lose the momma too. I had be tinkering with the idea of breeding my mare before, but after this I never want to breed. Her owner did everything by the book and it still went so long. It makes me angry at the people who give their mares no care at all and they get happy healthy mom and babies:evil:.

Golden Horse 06-21-2012 01:23 PM

So sad, and a stark reminder of how badly wrong things can go. Breeding is not for the faint of heart, and every time someone wants to breed their mare, 'just because' they should be linked back to this and other threads like it.

New foals are cute, but the chances for it all going wrong are high

Piaffe 06-21-2012 01:29 PM

I am so sorry to hear this :( I can't even imagine. I am just so sorry :(

GhostwindAppaloosa 06-21-2012 01:37 PM

so sorry to hear. Unfortunetly in the world of horse breeding .. when things go bad they go REALLY bad. So sad for this horse. her dead foal and the owner :( Hoping for a recovery on the mare

cmarie 06-21-2012 02:07 PM

SO sorry to hear that, our thoughts and prayers are with the owner.

Rachel1786 06-21-2012 05:45 PM

Thanks guys. I haven't heard anything, hopefully no news is good news :?. I got a text saying the barn was closed today. From what I hear from my friend there was a lot of blood so I assume that is why :-(. If I hear anything about the moms condition i'll post an update.

HorseLovinLady 06-21-2012 09:40 PM

So sorry for the loss of the foal. Many prayers for mama.

Breella 06-21-2012 10:03 PM

This was my biggest fear when I found out my new horse was having a foal.

CLaPorte432 06-21-2012 10:23 PM

889 Attachment(s)
Oh my goodness. She is in my thoughts and prayers...
Posted via Mobile Device

livestoride 06-21-2012 10:43 PM

So sorry to hear this :( THoughts and prayers with the owners and the mare. Sorry for the loss adn I really hope she pulls through.