The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Please critique Widowmaker (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/please-critique-widowmaker-127945/)

Horseychick94 06-21-2012 05:55 PM

Please critique Widowmaker

5 Attachment(s)
10 year old reg standardbred off the track pacer. By Tulane out of Humming Strings by Precious Bunny. I am aware that he is underweight and has a hunters bump. I am rehabbing him and also the hunters bump is common in pacers. He had it since I got him

lilruffian 06-21-2012 07:21 PM

I like his shoulder, though his neck is set a little high and needs muscling
Nothings seriously off about his front legs and he's got a good depth of girth
A tad high in the withers
Roach-backed
Steep angle to his croup and he's sickle-hocked to a degree, though i've noticed that alot in STBs.

waresbear 06-21-2012 07:27 PM

He has a nice shoulder (for pulling sulky) and exceptional heartgirth. Very, very steep croup & very upright pasterns in the front (could be the bell boots throwing me off). He has a nice long neck that ties in quite high to the shoulder. He has the common stanardbred head, but I like it, gives him a regal type character. His confo is such that it's going to make it hard for him to round his back and collect for his rider without being sore. For trail riding and kicking around, I like him.

Elana 06-22-2012 01:24 PM

If you can, check out this site Equine Studies Institute Homepage and if you get a chance, take your horse to one of her clinics. She has done a LOT of work with re-happbing standardbrd horses off the track.

First of all, unless he is standing with on hoof cocked in the second photo, he has more than a hunter's bump. He has a knocked down hip. If you ahve not already, I would have a vet take a look at this. IF he has a knocked down hip, it may be OK but if he has a rotated pelvis there is no rehab in the world that can help.

As mentioned above, he is pretty good looking in front albeit upright front pasterns. As you note, he has a hunter's bump.. but note my comments as there may be more than that going on. He is sickel hocked behind (and a lot of Standardbreds are). Not bad, but his pelvis concerns me. He looks to stand uncomfortably behind from these photos.

Horseychick94 06-22-2012 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1559687)
I like his shoulder, though his neck is set a little high and needs muscling
Nothings seriously off about his front legs and he's got a good depth of girth
A tad high in the withers
Roach-backed
Steep angle to his croup and he's sickle-hocked to a degree, though i've noticed that alot in STBs.

This is his sire, Tulane. This is why he has a short croup