The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Any reason to NOT get a stock trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/any-reason-not-get-stock-trailer-127955/)

MyBoyPuck 06-21-2012 06:08 PM

Any reason to NOT get a stock trailer?

Just like the title asks, is there any reason I am not thinking of to get a stock trailer in terms of the outside design? Other than the Murphy's Law part where I realize my horse will now choose to colic when it's 2 degrees outside. Are there any safety features missing, or are they more poorly made in general? The trailer in question is a Featherlite. I believe it's model 9408.

COWCHICK77 06-21-2012 06:20 PM

9408 is a 2 horse slant bumper pull.
Maybe you could describe the trailer or post a link?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-21-2012 06:37 PM

Stock trailers are the unsung hero of horse loading. Only thing I didn't like about mine was there was no tackroom, other than that, I liked it and no horse ever refused to load in it.

equiniphile 06-21-2012 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rain! I took mine to a horse show last year and we were caught in the middle of a storm. The typical window-slat design of a stock trailer got us pretty wet sitting in the trailer while we waited it out. Just something to consider. This is ours:

xJumperx 06-21-2012 09:36 PM

We put shatter-proof glass up in the slats so that rain/wind wasn't an issue :) Left the 2 back open, so there was some ventilation. It's a 3 horse slant load, bumper pull, with a small midtack with 3 saddle racks and 9 bridle hooks. The slats were a problem at first, but since we've windowed them, it's all good!

DancingArabian 06-21-2012 10:19 PM

Be sure to cover the slats with mesh or plastic or shatterproof glass. Tossed but still lit cigarette butts can fly in the slats and cause a fire (happened to a very good friend of mine, but she had a wireless camera in her truck and was able to deal with it super fast)

Darrin 06-21-2012 11:41 PM

No reason not to get a stock trailer, they are more flexible then slants when it comes to hauling something other than horses.

loveduffy 06-22-2012 12:16 AM

I have a stock trailer and love it I did get slots put in so I could put plexiglass in for bad weather or winter

MyBoyPuck 06-23-2012 09:34 PM

Sorry, used the wrong terminology. It is the 9408 slant load. I used the term stock because it has the open sides instead of windows you can open or close. Sounds like other than cigarette butts and rain, there are no big downsides. Thanks for the input.

kitten_Val 06-24-2012 09:20 PM

MBP, I thought you got a trailer last year??

I have slant and used to own stock before. Nothing wrong with stock, but I like my slant better because of 2 reasons: 1) it's isolated so I have no problem trailering in strong rain or in winter or in wind, and 2) it has tack room and it's priceless when you go to the show. :)