The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   horse doesn't like snaffle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-doesnt-like-snaffle-127972/)

Rachel1786 06-21-2012 08:12 PM

horse doesn't like snaffle?

2 years ago we got our appy Legacy from new holland auction(2 hours away), I got a loose ring snaffle bit for him since they are my preference(plain or oval mouth). I noticed he fought and fussed with it a lot so I got his teeth done and it didn't help. Last week his old owner found me via a craigslist ad where I was selling a saddle, the recognized his pic and sent me a pic they had and the spots were dead on. I've been taking to them all this week learning about the 2 years they had him(they sold him in march 2010 and I got him in june 2010)Turns out he came from a trail riding stable only 10 minutes away, they bought him from there and boarded him there. Anyway I asked the old owner what kind of bit they used for him and they said that he doesn't like any sort of broken bit and works best in a low port curb. My question is, is there any reason why a horse wouldn't like a broken bit? I mean mostly medically or just the action of the bit. Or is it just a preference kinda like how I hate the thong flip flops because the thing between my toes drives me crazy but some people love them :lol::-P

BarrelracingArabian 06-21-2012 08:18 PM

He could have an awkward pallet causing pain however a three piece might fix that or it might not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nitefeatherz 06-21-2012 08:18 PM

I used to know a horse that was a Belgian-Quarter Horse cross. He liked a Kimberwick bit best. His owner tried many other bits with him because he had a very light mouth and as such needed a very light hand if anyone rode him in a curb- but he always preferred a curb to a snaffle no matter what she did. He had no issues that they found that would have affected how he would take a bit.

She had him fully checked out too and in the end it seemed that he just preferred a curb to the snaffle bit. She picked the bit he seemed to "like" the best-which was the kimberwick- and then just made sure that only those with a soft hand on his mouth rode him.

He was such a lovely boy. :)

Palomine 06-21-2012 08:44 PM

Snaffle may be hitting bars funny, or the rings as it slide may pinch, if not offset Dee. Could have tongue issues too, nerves funny there, or tongue may be torn further back as one I knew of.

Horse is telling you to change bits apparently. Do it.

TrojanCowgirl 06-21-2012 08:52 PM

Hmm I'm subscribing! My mare is so fussy with her snaffle bit. She used to ride in a tom thumb before I bought her and during her test ride. She didn't play with it at all, but she loves to play with the snaffle. Her teeth are done and the vet said she has one of the healthiest horsey-mouths that he's ever seen.

equiniphile 06-21-2012 09:03 PM

We had a Missouri Fox Trotter gelding that was happiest in a long-shanked, solid medium port curb. He never worked well in snaffles or milder curbs with movable joints, so he was ridden in the longer-shanked curb.

Every horse is different, and you just have to play around until you find what he likes best. My Paso gets strung out in a snaffle with a loose rein, but collects up beautifully with his gaited bit without contact because he prefers it to the snaffle.

Golden Horse 06-21-2012 09:03 PM

Some horses don't like a loose ring either, Ace is fine in an eggbut french link, hates the loose ring one

poppy1356 06-21-2012 09:12 PM

My mare absolutely cannot have a regular snaffle. She tosses her head until she is nearly throwing herself over, this is without anyone on her yet. I switched to a Myler comfort snaffle and head tossing stopped immediately. I'm currently looking for a French link to try. Some horses just can't have a snaffle for various reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

TrojanCowgirl 06-21-2012 09:16 PM

Do french links lay flatter in a horse's mouth? Are they generally more comfortable? I've never used one and don't venture out to much with bits.

DancingArabian 06-21-2012 09:17 PM

O ring snaffles sometimes pinch, the rings slide, the reins move around and cause the bit to shift a bit, and some horses have a...daintily shaped palette and the 2 piece bits don't lay flat and constantly press on the mouth. My horse HATES 2 piece bits and I know some others that do too. My horse will actually run around like a freak with his mouth WIDE OPEN in a regular snaffle!