The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Cues in cutting?? (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/cues-cutting-128031/)

HSQuarterHorses 06-22-2012 10:37 AM

Cues in cutting??

I just purchased a new mare shes an AQHA 10 yr old mare De Luxe Maganna and she was trained & shown in cutting but the people i purchased her from just trail rode her. She rides amazingly & has one heck of a handle on her, very sensitive to leg pressure & movements. I am not familiar at all with cutting, ive only barrel raced & trail rode. But with her when you go to get on her at first whenyou get ready to head out ( out on a trail or anything) she backs up & will do so until somthing clicks then she goes forward. I dont know if its because im confusing her in some way with what im asking of her to go forward? or if there is a certain cue that is used on cutting horses that is a go forward cue. Someone told me she does this because its what the do when they are getting ready to do their job? Like i said im TOTALLY clueless about cutting or the training involved or riding one that has a handle on it like her. Ive dealt with his issue before in numerous horses but it was always due to stubbornness & being hard headed with her its not like that. Its like she turns her head back & is waiting for a cue. Does anyone have any tips on this or what i can do?
Thanks! :-)

DancingArabian 06-22-2012 10:58 AM

Don't cutters back up when the reins are shifted back? Maybe you're leaning or tilting the reins back when you're lifting them?
Posted via Mobile Device

HSQuarterHorses 06-22-2012 11:02 AM

I have no idea lol i wish i knew. i know nothing about cutting or the cues they use. I thought cutting was the use of legs not so much the use of reins? and she will do it with the reins laid on her neck not even being touch. This is why i thougth maybe she was waiting for a go forward cue or a leg pressure to say okay move forward. She stands wonderfully & rides great and this doesnt bother me because im patient but i just want to figure out how she ticks & thinks.

cowboy bowhunter 06-22-2012 11:54 AM

Backing is a big thing in cutting. When i stop i always back my horse up. I back before i start moving. I back to do rollbacks.
With all this backing it helps your horse to realize they need to get there back end under themself. And it helps to get a better stop.

When she is backing up are you moving your legs in and out. Like you are kicking but not contacting her. I have seen trainers teach that as backing up.

HSQuarterHorses 06-22-2012 12:30 PM

thats almost exactly what im doing. And I dont know if it was just a stroke of luck or a one time thing but last night when riding her i got her to go forward most of the time just by squeezing my calves into her and smooching. Not kicking, not putting my heels into her but just lightly squeezing & giving her a smooch. Ive never rode a cutting horse so her handle & the way she is trained on her cues & what makes her tick & move im trying to learn so she can understand me & what im asking. Ive heard backign up is a huge thing in cutting so i kind of figured its a training thing not a being bullheaded thing. She does it as soon as you get on until she gets the cue (whatever it may be?) to stop & go forward.

NicoleS11 06-22-2012 12:37 PM

I know my horse who is an ex cutter is trained to be drove forward with constant leg pressure. Meaning he will drive his butt into the ground if I take my legs off him. I need constant but light pressure on his sides to make him walk forward and keep between my legs. If one leg is lighter on pressure then the other he is already thinking about stopping and turning over himself.

Just keep riding her. You will figure her out. :)

COWCHICK77 06-23-2012 12:56 AM

Make sure your hand is up and off her neck and pushed forward.Like everyone mentioned before keep your legs on her and also try tilting your pelvis tilted forward rather than sitting on your pockets which might cause her her to sit back and want to work.

Good luck, I am sure you'll figure out her buttons :)

CCH 06-23-2012 01:08 AM

Different trainers have different cues to get their horses to suck back. It could be a spur stop (which I hate) or a leg stop, that comes from squeezing more with the upper leg. It could be that you've put your hand on the wither, or it could be that you've say too deep in the saddle and given a seat cue.

None of this is anything I would try to fix in the horse because I'd rather have one backup than walk off. It could also be that the type of saddle you use sends different pressure through the seat and fenders. There is also a slim possibility that the backing could be some misbehavior / refusal to work.

Might be helpful if you had a video?? Otherwise the only advice I can give is to just get used to each other. Enjoy your new horse though!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hope7985 06-28-2012 09:19 PM

Typically we train a cutting horse to respond to leg pressure and seat pressure. We generally ride with our hand lying on the neck until we are ready to cut a cow. Ours do not need constant leg pressure just for walking, trotting, loping. Constant leg pressure is used to get the horse across the cow and stop it. We stop them by sitting deep in the saddle. As soon as the horse stops we ask them to back up. We do that with light bit contact and leg pressure until they start backing then keeping the leg pressure until we want them to stop, then sitting again. We do this so the horse will suck back onto it's hindquarters when the cow stops and come through the turn with the cow in one move. We never allow them to walk up out of a stop. I have seen our horses do what you describe when they have a rider on them that uses too much rein or signals they aren't familiar with. They are confused. We use almost no rein unless we are schooling so your horse my think you are getting ready to school her for a mistake. Try riding with a very loose rein and just squeezing with your calves until she moves off. If you want to shift to a trot, try leaning forward a bit and lifting your reins forward. Same with a lope just a bit more. When you want a stop put the palm of your hand on the saddle horn and push your seat into the saddle and release leg pressure. We also don't use verbal ques because we aren't allowed to que them verbally in the show ring. She should also neck rein really well on a loose rein. We choose a cow by lifting our hand over the neck with a lot of slack in the reins and kind of pointing at the cow we want with our reins. We are using legs too but they know what neck reining is. The main thing is don't get in her mouth unless it's necessary. Go watch a cutting video on utube and it will help you. I hope this helps.