The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What I learned from my horse today.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-i-learned-my-horse-today-128038/)

huntergrl 06-22-2012 11:16 AM

What I learned from my horse today....

Today I was teaching my horse to remain calm and accept me walking up to him, accepting my touches and rubs sense he seems to be on edge. I did already throw the saddle on him last month and he did as I asked on the lungeline, however, that didn't mean he learned to like it. So I started with very basic things today because he has not been approaching me like he used to. I couldn't stop thinking last night about how I always worked him and didn't stay to just spend time with him. I guess I'd be mad too if someone only came to work me and then put me away:( So I spent time with him in his stall this morning and groomed him slowly when he calmed down and he let me do his feet without needing to be held or tied. Then I approached and walked away many times while talking to him alot.
I was told that the owners that I got him from did ride him, however, he is very sensitive on his mounting side. They never used tack just rode bareback. I opened my mind and he showed me the sensitivities he has because of being "made" to do things without a teaching method. No wonder he still spooks at everything, even the saddle pad. I realized that if I was made to do things whether I liked it or not and someone just strong armed me I would probably be skiddish too. Today we worked together for hours but I got him to wear a blanket that covered most of his body and he relaxed and almost fell asleep. The blanket we will probably work on for another week, but patience and time has made him much happier. He used to start heading way out in the field and even trot away sometimes after I let him back out in the field. Today he didn't do that at all! In fact it took him about 10 minutes to start walking away from the gate and he didn't go very far. Today he taught me patience and time works with everything. I feel like I have to start him over on everything and undo everything in a different way. Atleast he is very smart, except when he didn't realize he was standing on my big toe today. LOL

Skyseternalangel 06-23-2012 07:23 AM

Patience truly helps all scenarios in life, including horses! It's such a huge thing. :)

Palomine 06-23-2012 07:55 AM

Horse may be on edge because you are *****footing around everything too. You don't have to spend hours and hours on things to get horse to accept them.

Just common sense approaches, and calm handling. The dragging things out actually makes horses more apprehensive than just going ahead and doing it.

huntergrl 06-25-2012 09:50 AM

feedback

Well today I could tell a huge difference in him from last week so its going well. He is a much calmer horse, with everyone and not just me this time. It was a war introducing the bridle today but I won, it was hard and my arms are sore but I won.lol He didn't care about wearing it at all, but flipping it over those ears just drives him nuts! I can't stand head throwing, its for babies. He will drop his head for me when I put my hand on his poll and I can put my hands all over his face, but when it comes to the bridle he just gets head crazy. When I got it on him he took off for a few steps and then I made him wear it for a long time and I worked him on the lunge. He still hated taking it off. I guess I'll just keep trying.
Anyhow yes he shows a big difference from last week, but still a long ways to go.

Critter sitter 06-25-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergrl (Post 1564986)
Well today I could tell a huge difference in him from last week so its going well. He is a much calmer horse, with everyone and not just me this time. It was a war introducing the bridle today but I won, it was hard and my arms are sore but I won.lol He didn't care about wearing it at all, but flipping it over those ears just drives him nuts! I can't stand head throwing, its for babies. He will drop his head for me when I put my hand on his poll and I can put my hands all over his face, but when it comes to the bridle he just gets head crazy. When I got it on him he took off for a few steps and then I made him wear it for a long time and I worked him on the lunge. He still hated taking it off. I guess I'll just keep trying.
Anyhow yes he shows a big difference from last week, but still a long ways to go.

my mare was a nightmare when I would try to Bridle her. we worked and worked to desensitize her and she would throw her head she was not afaid of the bit and headstal just knew id she threw her head she wouldn;t have to do the bridle.Hubby finally came out and helped me.. He is awesome. with in 15 minutes he had her taking it and taking off like a champ..
He worked with just headstall and bit. and as He would bring right hand over the poll and bring headstall up if she tossed her head he would swing the bridle with left handback and tap her in the ribs with it.. (not hard ) just hard enough to get her attention.. It only took 3 taps and she took it like she had taking it for years... he bridled and unbridled about 5 times easily then handed it to me and said "you do it now 30 times" and I did she gave me attitude once and she was wonderful after that...

I hope all goes well with you and your horse... I agree with Palomine *****footing around wont help either of you.

huntergrl 06-25-2012 11:53 AM

Yeah I agree too, he is going to learn to accept things and its time he get all tacked up and ready to ride. I do push him, and always make sure he actually meets goals when ending a lesson, I'll never be different on that. YOu wanna open a can of worms then end on a bad note and you got yourself a habit. I have been using the pressure and release methods when I work with him, I will definately try what you did and see what happens. I can bet you money it will take longer than yours did.lol But he will eventually give in. Was your horse also scared of it touching her? I am thinking he needs desensitizing too because get nervous before it even touches him.

Critter sitter 06-25-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergrl (Post 1565166)
Yeah I agree too, he is going to learn to accept things and its time he get all tacked up and ready to ride. I do push him, and always make sure he actually meets goals when ending a lesson, I'll never be different on that. YOu wanna open a can of worms then end on a bad note and you got yourself a habit. I have been using the pressure and release methods when I work with him, I will definately try what you did and see what happens. I can bet you money it will take longer than yours did.lol But he will eventually give in. Was your horse also scared of it touching her? I am thinking he needs desensitizing too because get nervous before it even touches him.

we had a trainer coming out 2 times a week for 4 weeks. she was "natural horsemanship" she would take a hour to fight with her with pressure and release. The people who owned her before me had branded the head toss into her. She let her get away with what ever she wanted.. and the trainer who worked with her at 2 beat it in to her head .. she came to us at 5 1/2. so when we got her she was head shy yes.. I got her over that and then after the 15 minutes of Hubby Training her( i never ever though it would go that fast) she has been great. Have faith it worked.. the horse does not knowe you are doing the tap they just know that when they toss their head the feel a sharp tap on their side and the don't like it.. you have to be qiuck. good luck and let me know how it goes