The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pony a Yearling on a Trail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pony-yearling-trail-128078/)

Sucker4Spots 06-22-2012 04:31 PM

Pony a Yearling on a Trail?

This summer I want to start my yearling colt. I know he's young, but when it comes time to actually ride him, I want it to go off without a hitch. I'm wondering where other people stand about ponying him on the trails. I would be using his momma which is a fearless trail horse.
I'm wondering if it's too soon to take him on trails and to start bomb proofing him. He's very willing to work and wants to please, I just don't want to push him too hard or stunt his growth by any means. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

cowboy bowhunter 06-22-2012 04:37 PM

I have ponyed foals around with there mommas on trail rides. Not ones where i go all day but shorter ones. Once they are a yearling. they go for few hour trail rides.

CLaPorte432 06-22-2012 05:03 PM

Absolutely! Its a great idea. Definitely use a bomb proof trail horse to accompany him.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 06-22-2012 05:13 PM

There is no better way to get a young horse used to things than to drag them around with you everywhere. At the barn I am at we take yearlings everywhere. Even foals are halter broken and taken on short rides, desensitized, started on some light groundwork...It's an excellent idea to get them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

candandy49 06-23-2012 07:16 AM

I totally agree ponying the youngsters is a very good way to start them. I ponyed my mare's foals a couple of days a week, but not to far initially.

Cherie 06-24-2012 07:58 AM

I don't like ponying horses on trails. I have had to retrain a bunch of them that had become so herd-bound they were a real PITA to try to ride out alone. They thought they had to have company or a horse to follow and were a lot harder to get to be good trail horses without a 'horse leader'.

We just have had no problem with riding them out by themselves when we train them so have found no benefit from leading them around.

This is just the way we have found to make the best trail horses that are brave and only need a person to be their leader.