The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Different Ways To Put on a Bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/different-ways-put-bridle-128111/)

goingnowhere1 06-22-2012 09:38 PM

Different Ways To Put on a Bridle

Yesterday I went to a barn to try three horses for lease(one of which I absoloutley love and will talk about another day) the owner seemed to want to tack up the horse by herself, and I let her.
When she put on the (English) bridle she had the noseband already buckled and slid the noseband around the horses nose while she put the bit in. I have never seen anyone do this before as I was taught and observed people buckling it after they put the bit in.
I was wondering if anyone does it this way, my way, or a different way and why they do it that particular way. Thanks!

Skyseternalangel 06-22-2012 09:48 PM

I put the bit in first, over the off-side ear, then the near ear, noseband is unlatched so I line it up and fasten it.

Was it a bosal/sidepull? If so that's what I've seen people do instead of put a bit in, they slip their horse's nose into the nosepiece.

tinyliny 06-22-2012 09:53 PM

I call that being lazy. I always unbuckle the caveson.

Britt 06-22-2012 10:11 PM

Laziness. I always unbuckle the noseband when putting on an english bridle. The bit goes in first, then the nearesar to me, then I slip under the neck and pull the other ear through. It's the same process with any bridle, western or english, sidepull, etc...

goingnowhere1 06-22-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1561516)
Was it a bosal/sidepull? If so that's what I've seen people do instead of put a bit in, they slip their horse's nose into the nosepiece.

No, it was a regular cavesson, as the other person said, I think they're just being lazy.

Saddlebag 06-22-2012 10:21 PM

If it works for her, what does it matter. I've had unbuckled cavessons that seemed to have a mind of their own, going everywhere but where they should. Sometimes buckling makes it easier especially with a horse that loses it's patience.

DraftXDressage 06-22-2012 11:13 PM

Was it the cavesson, or the flash? Because I never bother to unbuckle my flash (so obviously, it's not particularly tight) - it's very easy to slip a buckled flash on before you do up the cavesson.

Nevreme 06-22-2012 11:43 PM

As long as it wasn't still buckled when it came OFF the horse, I see no problem. We do a lot of lessons at my barn and so we get kids pulling off bridles that still have all the buckles done up, which drives me crazy. It can't be comfortable for the poor horse, to have that tight loop yanked over his nose!

kitten_Val 06-23-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goingnowhere1 (Post 1561502)
When she put on the (English) bridle she had the noseband already buckled and slid the noseband around the horses nose while she put the bit in. I have never seen anyone do this before as I was taught and observed people buckling it after they put the bit in.

I do it this way on my qh, simply because the noseband on that bridle is quite complicated to buckle/unbuckle. It's a wide, nice soft leather noseband that just slid right in place as the horse takes the bit, horse would care less about it (I also don't keep it very tight BTW). On my paint (I use hunter bridle with narrow noseband) I always have it unbuckled.

noddy 06-28-2012 12:07 AM

Was the cavesson actually tight? For all the polo bridles, we had two nosebands - a wide, loose cavesson (think a hole or two looser than a normal cavesson sans flash) for the tie down and, for most, a drop or grackle noseband. The drop/grackle was always undone, but we never unbuckled the cavesson - just slipped it over their nose inside the cheeks. I'm not sure, but it might have been because people kept losing the rings on the cavesson for clipping the tie down to. XD