The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Looking at getting into Dressage lessons/training. (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/looking-getting-into-dressage-lessons-training-128113/)

SaddleStrings 06-22-2012 10:00 PM

Looking at getting into Dressage lessons/training.

I have been doing my own training work on my 4 yr old for about a year now. But lately I have been feeling like I need someone to help coach me and help me get more training on my horse. I have been a hunter jumper for quite a few years now, I had boarded my horse with a trainer 45 min away from me, and over the last year his health had started to decline and it was making it difficult for him to jump anymore. And work and price of gas was also making it difficult for me to ride more than twice a week. So I moved him home where i can see and ride my horses daily. And now he's semi retired. :)

So I now have a new younger horse and I'm thinking I want to try some dressage with. I found a few trainers through the web that are located kind of close by. Some say they will travel to you. Which is what I need, as I don't currently have a trailer. I don't really have the funds to board my horse at a big boarding barn let alone have full training done. My question I am wondering is, would a trainer be willing to travel to me and help me teach myself and my horse some dressage once a week? And then I could work on that weeks lesson till the following lesson on my own.

I know that not only will I be paying for an hourly rate, but travel too. I have access to an big private outdoor arena and also have privileges to use a neighbors indoor arena, so I do have facilities to make this comfortable for a trainer. What else would I need to consider or ask?

Skyseternalangel 06-22-2012 10:03 PM

It's definitely possible. That's how my trainer and I worked since I don't have a trailer either.

Have fun with dressage!

Jumperforjoy 06-22-2012 10:08 PM

Absolutely you should easily be able to find a mobile trainer, sounds like you have a great set up with a opinion of indoor if the weather sucks so no worries there, and it's not like you will be jumping so no issues of needing jumps etc.

Maybe put up some letters in arena if not already there.

As you stated you will probably have to pay a travel fee but around here they usually don't charge over 20 bucks for that.

I recently started looking for a mobile h/j coach and I have been able to find plenty in my area by checking kijiji and putting up a wanted ad. Some are extremely expensive and out of my price range but I have found a couple that I am going to try out in the next couple weeks and the price range is affordable 30-40 Lesson and 10-20 for travel.

Best of luck :-)

SaddleStrings 06-22-2012 10:25 PM

So even though my horse has just the basics right now, you think a trainer would be able to work with me on advancing Belle's skills and teaching me better riding/training techiques? The good thing is I have been a hunter/jumper for awhile, so I have some dressage like training.

Skyseternalangel 06-22-2012 10:27 PM

Most definitely, OP!

kitten_Val 06-22-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleStrings (Post 1561534)
My question I am wondering is, would a trainer be willing to travel to me and help me teach myself and my horse some dressage once a week?

Number of trainers in my area don't mind to teach in your own place (given it's not too far away :wink: ). Especially those who don't own a barn, but just give lessons. Definitely ask! You may also end up trying lessons with several trainers before you find the one you'll love.

SaddleStrings 06-22-2012 10:33 PM

I figured with dressage if someone coached me, I feel comfortable practicing by myself, where jumping I need someone watch that I didn't screw up.

Skyseternalangel 06-22-2012 10:37 PM

Yes you can definitely practice on your own time. I did so with only one lesson a week and we improved a lot during the week as I got to practice on my own.. and he's a greenie beanie so if I can do it, YOU can do it too!

SaddleStrings 06-22-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks, Sky!

Now I've just got work up the courage to call a few and see what they want to work out. I'm kind of nervous for some reason.

Skyseternalangel 06-22-2012 10:57 PM

Well no reason to be :) I'm excited for you and you're welcome!